turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

.870 20 gauge TSS question

Started by macobb, June 04, 2019, 08:10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macobb

I've been tossing between an Affinity Compact 20 and .870 youth model 20. I have got some great information on the Affinity off of here. I have been hearing it has a bit of cycling troubles on some tss rounds. I am curious as to if anyone has shot 3" tss rounds in the .870 and if there has been any issues with it jamming? Also curious about chokes and patterns on the .870. And if anyone has held them both and what the weight difference feels like. I know the specs have them close to the same weight but know sometimes that's just a number on a piece of paper. Any help is appreciated.
Always wondering wether or not to give a cluck

skimerhorn

I've shot 3 inch apex thru my 20ga 870 and love it. I've shot 9 and 8, and my gun likes 8 a lil better. Only used Indian creek choke but have had good results

Greg Massey

870 for me ....  you can buy one from Walmart that's already dipped in 3 inch ... youth ... fine gun for the money ....

owlhoot

Both of my 870's haven't had a problem. My SA08 does some .

shatcher

870 with tss 9s handloaded with Hal Abbott's recipe.  Sumtoy choke.  Killed 4 TN turkeys and a coyote this season.  Collapsed the coyote at about 30.  Won't hunt with a 12 again unless I can't get tss.

shatcher

I meant to include in the last post that my handloads are a little longer than 3".  Doesn't matter.  They cycle and pattern like a dream in the 870.  Not sure the semi-auto guys can say that for cycling.  Good luck to you.

crenshawco

I went 870 because I don't ever want to worry about whether or not my gun cycled. Sure follow up shots aren't common, but I've probably killed 5 or 10 birds over the years on the 2nd or 3rd shot. I have never had a cycling issue with my 870. In fact, the recoil in the 20 with TSS almost provides an assisted pump a lot of times

Clydetaylor1

I got a 11-87 and have never had a cycling problem.

Spurs Up

Quote from: macobb on June 04, 2019, 08:10:16 PM
I've been tossing between an Affinity Compact 20 and .870 youth model 20. I have got some great information on the Affinity off of here. I have been hearing it has a bit of cycling troubles on some tss rounds. I am curious as to if anyone has shot 3" tss rounds in the .870 and if there has been any issues with it jamming? Also curious about chokes and patterns on the .870. And if anyone has held them both and what the weight difference feels like. I know the specs have them close to the same weight but know sometimes that's just a number on a piece of paper. Any help is appreciated.

The 20 gauge Affinity will shoot and eject 3" shells all day. The issue occurs when it attempts to cycle a roll crimped, 3" following shell. No problems whatsoever with 3" fold/star crimped shells or any heavy duty 2-3/4" shell. The same is true of all Beretta/Benelli family autoloading 20's.

Never heard of this problem with any pump chambered for 3" shells. In my opinion, that's not reason enough to overlook the Affinity. It's a completely different gun (not only action but fit and feel) and light years better quality than the 870.

If you get the 870, budget for a Timney trigger spring kit ($100) or start doing finger strengthening exercises. You probably want and need sight upgrades too. At least a rear sight, if not scope or red dot.

Good luck with your choice.

Spurs Up

Quote from: crenshawco on June 04, 2019, 09:50:40 PM
I went 870 because I don't ever want to worry about whether or not my gun cycled. Sure follow up shots aren't common, but I've probably killed 5 or 10 birds over the years on the 2nd or 3rd shot. I have never had a cycling issue with my 870. In fact, the recoil in the 20 with TSS almost provides an assisted pump a lot of times

I've seen the same "assisted pump" thing when patterning hot shells from a bench rest; with no hand and only light pressure on the forearm. However, it doesn't do much to push the next shell into the chamber. Sometimes it will result in a hang up like when you short-shuck and jam a pump.

CALLM2U

I can't speak to the Affinity, but I do own 4 870s.  (1 20g Express, 2 12g Mag and 1 12g Wingmaster)

I obviously love them all and can't imagine parting ways with them.  In 30+ years of owning them I can only think of one shell issue and that was the cheap Federal target loads that swelled up on me.

Click

I own both guns you are asking about. 

My 870 is the compact model.  I think the barrel is around 23 inches.  This gun was was set up by a guy who does custom builds for turkey hunters.  It has a trigger job set at around 3 lbs.  Also, the gun's forcing cone has been reworked.  This gun is a bit heavier than my Affinity.  I shoot TSS #9 with a Jeb's .555.  If I am shooting TSS #7 this gun likes .565 better.  I shoot a variety of TSS loads, some factory and some hand loads.  It has an Aimpoint Micro t-2 mounted on it.  I am very happy with this guns patterns at 40 yards. 

My Affinity is straight out of the box with no adjustments other than a Hevi shot .573 choke.   I shoot the same loads with this gun as I do with my .870 and get very good 40 yard patterns.  I like a pattern that isnt too tight nor too forgiving.    This gun feels lighter than the .870.  I have not weighed either gun. The barrel is 26 inches without the screw in choke.  I have had some cycling issues with hand loads.  I hunt a variety of game with this gun and am very pleased with it. 

Hope this helps.     

macobb

I appreciate the help guys. I got an offer I couldn't let get away on a Franchi Affinity 20 Compact. As a heads up I was told they are stopping production on 24" barrels so if anyone is looking now is the time. Although I am confident in the next couple years I will do either a .870 20 youth or Stevens 301compact .410 build.
Always wondering wether or not to give a cluck