OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Do you "force" or feel compelled to use your expensive calls??  (Read 8159 times)

Offline TTSpringers

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
Re: Do you "force" or feel compelled to use your expensive calls??
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2019, 11:04:10 AM »
If i own it i hunt it.  So i would buy a $1,500 call.  But i have no issues taking a $300 call along.  That is why i bought it.  that being said i will let it in the truck if it is raining  ;D.  Every gun i own as well as my truck are also going to get used and scratched.  especially grouse hunting!  To me every scratch or wear mark on my equipment adds value.  Sentimental value. 

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2019, 04:13:04 PM »
I am not taking my hen boxes on a misty damp morning but I will grab my SS field grade.

Agree; don't mind misty mornings, but if the weather is calling for steady rain, my long, mini boat and short box calls stay in the truck or camp, and a 'waterproof' box call goes in the vest instead. Other than rain days I hunt everything I own.

My problem is I own too many and can't hunt them all...
I agree, who makes a good waterproof box? Thanks

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2019, 05:33:29 PM »
Quote from: paboxcall

And you see that as a PROBLEM ??????     ????
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Offline paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2019, 09:48:47 PM »
I am not taking my hen boxes on a misty damp morning but I will grab my SS field grade.

Agree; don't mind misty mornings, but if the weather is calling for steady rain, my long, mini boat and short box calls stay in the truck or camp, and a 'waterproof' box call goes in the vest instead. Other than rain days I hunt everything I own.

I agree, who makes a good waterproof box? Thanks

I carry a Woods Wise waterproof box for rain days. Took a little light tweaking on the black coating with green scotchbrite but she sings now.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2019, 09:49:21 PM »
Quote from: paboxcall

And you see that as a PROBLEM ??????     ????

:TooFunny: :TooFunny:
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
Thanks I have a Quaker boy with a gray coating that is Ok . I may have to try the scotch brite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2019, 10:46:24 PM »
If you can find one.........the Hally Caller Weatherproof was/is about as good as you can get.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Offline coyote1

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2019, 03:27:00 AM »
I don't force myself to use them. I hunt with them because that is why I buy them. That being said the most expensive call I own is an Albert Paul box. I have too many nice pots that haven't seen the woods so I'm selling them to people who will hopefully hunt them.

Offline land cruiser

• The Boss Gobbler
Waterproof box? Yeti load out. It can fit a few calls for you. Not convinced on ease of transport though

Offline ferocious calls

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2019, 08:25:47 AM »
They become more priceless when they are hunted.

The Buzzard call by Kenny Crummett was free but is the most cherished. It had a good workout the first week this season. RIP Kenny

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
I would not buy a call I did not intend to hunt. That's what they were made for and more than likely I will give a call away before I sell one.
  I understand what your saying ... BUT .. i'm not going to take a chance with one of my Neil Cost boxes that cost over 1500.00 and in my opinion these boxes are priceless and loaded with history ..  but i don't blame you if you want to hunt with whatever you buy ...
I understand completely. However I am not the type to buy something and just look at it. Not saying it's wrong, it's just not me. I always try to get my money's worth out of whatever I buy. I remember one time when I was about 14 or 15 years old and I went fly fishing with my dad. On the way to the river all I heard about was his new $2,000.00 custom made split bamboo fly rod that he had just bought. Guess what happened? Not 50 yards from the truck he falls and snaps it and I bust a gut laughing about it which infuriated him even further. But hey stupid is stupid. Dont play with toys you aren't willing to break. So to sum it up I understand why some aren't being taken out of the house. I just dont buy that kind of stuff.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Online gaswamp

« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2019, 03:45:54 PM »
early this year I had the chance to buy a Neil Cost box (can't remember wood combo).  At any rate it was $800 and very well used.  After playing it I understand why it spent a lot of times in the woods, it sounded great.   

Ben1100mag

« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2019, 08:36:07 AM »
Day in and Day out my best caller is a $10 scratch box. But I do hunt with and carry a $100 box call every time out. Both are killers.  I try not to buy pretty calls but calls that hunt.

Offline bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2019, 09:52:55 AM »
I don't buy a call to set it on the shelf and look at it.  I buy a call to kill a turkey with it.  If you go out and spend $75000 for a new truck (and they do cost that much TRICKED out), do you put it in the garage and never drive it because you are afraid you will wreck it or get it wet? 

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2019, 10:08:57 AM »
I hunt with all my calls. From the Cost boxes to my Farmer trumpet, all get an opportunity to get blood on them. That is why the callmakers build them and why I buy them. I get great personal joy from using all from an old production call to a Stradivarius.

JMHO , I think a lot of callmakers get disappointed knowing that a wonderful piece of American craftsmanship sits on a shelf.

That's the TRUTH! Nothing means more to any callmaker than to receive a picture of a beautiful gobbler with your call laying beside his head.....NOTHING!!!