OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Do you "force" or feel compelled to use your expensive calls??  (Read 8191 times)

Online Happy

• Limbhanger
I would not buy a call I did not intend to hunt. That's what they were made for and more than likely I will give a call away before I sell one.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
Re: Do you "force" or feel compelled to use your expensive calls??
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2019, 08:18:16 PM »
I wish I had a Neil Costs with some blood and mud on it, I would be smiling ear to ear!

Offline Sixes

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2019, 08:55:15 PM »
I hunt them, I might be a little more careful and more conscious of them, but I don't leave them at home because of cost.

If I give 250 dollars for a fishing rod, you can better believe I'm going to cast it out

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
I would not buy a call I did not intend to hunt. That's what they were made for and more than likely I will give a call away before I sell one.
  I understand what your saying ... BUT .. i'm not going to take a chance with one of my Neil Cost boxes that cost over 1500.00 and in my opinion these boxes are priceless and loaded with history ..  but i don't blame you if you want to hunt with whatever you buy ...

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2019, 09:09:54 PM »
I don’t feel compelled to do anything. I hunt what I want. I will say if the call was extra expensive I’d be careful bout when I used it but feeling I needed to use anything??? No

Offline West Augusta

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • West By God Virginia
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2019, 09:17:23 PM »
I hunt with the calls that sound most like what I think a turkey sounds like.  I don't care how much it costs anymore.  I hunted with the most expensive call I own this year.  I think that the maker was happy that I did.  And, if you do mess one up while hunting with it, most call makers will repair them. 
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Offline KentuckyHeadhunter

• Double Beard
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2019, 09:17:52 PM »
How much do you pay for a complete set of camo, shot gun, pick up truck, that you use?

Bob

Thank you Bob!  :z-winnersmiley:
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2019, 09:26:26 PM »
If I wont hunt it then it dont stay. I have too many to hunt them all even changing them out throughout the season. If you pull a call out of my collection you can bet money its a good one. I have way too many and will have many many more before im done here but they all are killers.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
  I understand what your saying ... BUT .. i'm not going to take a chance with one of my Neil Cost boxes that cost over 1500.00 and in my opinion these boxes are priceless and loaded with history ..  but i don't blame you if you want to hunt with whatever you buy ...

I'm with you.

I have but ONE original Neil.  It's on the different side and worth WAY more than what I'm willing to take into the woods and possibly harming.

To each, his own, I reckon.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Offline land cruiser

• The Boss Gobbler
I don't buy anything I won't use. #notacollector:)

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2019, 01:17:23 AM »
I do not have any high end calls yet, I think I have 125 into my most expensive call and for me that was  MAJOR investment. I have had it into the woods this year. Oh I take that back I have a pot call I paid I think 130 for and it got my my first turkey this year but I will tell you it is a fair weather call for me, I do not want to take it out in bad weather as I want to take care of it. I have old crappy but just as good production calls I take out when it is raining. As a matter of fact they sat in the blind in a dry box all year and it was so rainy this season they got more use than all my other calls put together with the exception of my mouth calls.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2019, 05:58:51 AM »
Everything I have I plan to hunt at some point or another. I do hunt a lot of different calls throughout a season and rotate regularly. I do have too many to hunt in one season and I am selective on when I hunt my more expensive calls. I am not taking my hen boxes on a misty damp morning but I will grab my SS field grade.

Offline bobk

• In Memorial
  • Longbeard
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2019, 07:58:38 AM »
I hunt the calls that sound the most like a turkey to me. Have never let the calls cost influence  which ones I hunt. I believe that callers are  tools that are built to call turkeys.
Just my opinion.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 08:10:04 AM by bobk »

Offline jshark14

I hunt them all! If I bought it, it’s going to the woods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2019, 10:59:33 AM »
I am not taking my hen boxes on a misty damp morning but I will grab my SS field grade.

Agree; don't mind misty mornings, but if the weather is calling for steady rain, my long, mini boat and short box calls stay in the truck or camp, and a 'waterproof' box call goes in the vest instead. Other than rain days I hunt everything I own.

My problem is I own too many and can't hunt them all...
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer