Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Do you "force" or feel compelled to use your expensive calls??

Started by Happy hooker, June 03, 2019, 02:49:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happy hooker

I don't have a monstrous size collection but I do have some quality, calls in the $200 plus range. I can honestly say of the expensive high end calls I've bought from different makers I have "never" been disappointed or felt I didn't get my money's worth.
However on the flip side I've bought some very "cheaply priced not cheap quality" calls here on the Swapboards. My last DADs box call was $40 I had about 5 previous dad's all sounding pretty good but this $40 blows away my expensive purpleheart/cedar combos. I bought a McKammey here for $75 that I wonder why I don't just hunt all the time.
However I just feel I HAVE to hunt my expensive ones because their pretty and I made the investment and pride of ownership.
I'm wondering if you guys find yourself compelled to do this too.

BigSlam51

I've hunted my buice trumpets a few times this year, called one up for a youngster with one and he killed the bird. It'll be a safe queen now. The few expensive pot calls I have don't leave the house just because I make my own.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

davisd9

Not going to buy any call and not hunt it. Every call I own has a chance to see the woods. Calls ranging from $30 to $350. I do not buy a call to look at but to hunt. Some do not make the vest but none are bought to sit and collect dust.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

wolfman

My best (favorite) calls go into the woods no matter what I paid for them.

paboxcall

"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

MDTOM84

I have hunted every higher price call I own, all my Platz and Watkins have been in my vest at one time or another. Some get used more than others but all have been hunted

nitro

I hunt with all my calls. From the Cost boxes to my Farmer trumpet, all get an opportunity to get blood on them. That is why the callmakers build them and why I buy them. I get great personal joy from using all from an old production call to a Stradivarius.

JMHO , I think a lot of callmakers get disappointed knowing that a wonderful piece of American craftsmanship sits on a shelf.
Royal Slam 2008

Happy hooker

Nitro nailed it for me,,the calling is 80% of the fun and funner with a fine instrument. We dont need engraving on a gun to shoot straight but it's nice to hold in your hands.

nitro

Most of the better calls in my collection came with signed letters from the maker encouraging me to " go get some blood on her"  I take that advice seriously. Damn serious.

Calling to and interacting with a Gobbler is what cranks my clock.  I send photos to my callmakers when successful. I have seen them displayed in their shops after the fact. My opinion is that it's taking my callmaker friends along - even if they can't be there in person..

Andrew

Quote from: Happy hooker on June 03, 2019, 04:20:21 PM
Nitro nailed it for me,,the calling is 80% of the fun and funner with a fine instrument. We dont need engraving on a gun to shoot straight but it's nice to hold in your hands.
Royal Slam 2008

Greg Massey

I don't necessarily hunt all the call's i have collected .. some of my collection is based on the history of the calls and call makers ... so those call's that hold a special place or history , i just enjoy getting them out and playing them for myself ...  most all of the other ones i have yes , i buy those for hunting purposes and enjoyment also...  I don't feel force to hunting and call i have ... but i don't hunting all the same calls every year either ..my collection is for my enjoyment only ...

BOB_HARWELL

How much do you pay for a complete set of camo, shot gun, pick up truck, that you use?

Bob

TauntoHawk

I won't pay extra for rarity or drummed up demand because I'm not a collector I'm a hunter but I'll pay for sound and craftsmanship everytime and hunt the call.

I do marvel over the value steals you find at times, I have a $22 scratch box with more kills then any of my custom box calls

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

eddie234

I won't buy a call I don't want to hunt with. I not have any super expensive calls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mudhen

"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

davisd9

Quote from: nitro on June 03, 2019, 04:10:06 PM
I hunt with all my calls. From the Cost boxes to my Farmer trumpet, all get an opportunity to get blood on them. That is why the callmakers build them and why I buy them. I get great personal joy from using all from an old production call to a Stradivarius.

JMHO , I think a lot of callmakers get disappointed knowing that a wonderful piece of American craftsmanship sits on a shelf.

Great post!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer