turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Federal 3rd Degree vs. Longbeard XR

Started by countryboy3006, June 03, 2019, 01:14:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

countryboy3006

The local Walmart has federal 3rd Degree 3.5 in 5,6,7 shot on sale for $11 a box of 5.  Was thinking about picking up some to try.  I have a 870 supermag that I use Longbeard XR in 5 shot now.  Has anyone else tried both of these shells?  What were your thoughts between them?

Bowguy

A buddy of mine used the 3rd degree. I was pretty sure they were a marketing hype and advised against it. Tell ya what out of his gun they were fantastic.
Longbeards imo aren't great loads. Way too tight a pattern w most combos. Actually haven't seen any that wasn't but yesterday I mounted a scope on a gun. After a few shots to sight in I had some longbeards lying around so I shot em and w a scope I guess it was precise enough for my aging/compromised eyes that I'd feel comfortable in that gun even at close range.
I believe the halo/pattern in the 3rd degree was much friendlier though.

countryboy3006

Thanks I have fiber optic sights on my turkey gun right ow and am planning on adding a red dot to it before next year so the tighter pattern doesn't bother me as much as it would if I was just using a bead.  I'll probably get a box or 2 to try out and see how they do.