OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Federal 3rd Degree vs. Longbeard XR  (Read 2111 times)

Offline countryboy3006

Federal 3rd Degree vs. Longbeard XR
« on: June 03, 2019, 01:14:39 PM »
The local Walmart has federal 3rd Degree 3.5 in 5,6,7 shot on sale for $11 a box of 5.  Was thinking about picking up some to try.  I have a 870 supermag that I use Longbeard XR in 5 shot now.  Has anyone else tried both of these shells?  What were your thoughts between them?

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
Re: Federal 3rd Degree vs. Longbeard XR
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 10:03:29 PM »
A buddy of mine used the 3rd degree. I was pretty sure they were a marketing hype and advised against it. Tell ya what out of his gun they were fantastic.
Longbeards imo aren’t great loads. Way too tight a pattern w most combos. Actually haven’t seen any that wasn’t but yesterday I mounted a scope on a gun. After a few shots to sight in I had some longbeards lying around so I shot em and w a scope I guess it was precise enough for my aging/compromised eyes that I’d feel comfortable in that gun even at close range.
I believe the halo/pattern in the 3rd degree was much friendlier though.

Offline countryboy3006

Re: Federal 3rd Degree vs. Longbeard XR
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2019, 07:03:23 AM »
Thanks I have fiber optic sights on my turkey gun right ow and am planning on adding a red dot to it before next year so the tighter pattern doesn't bother me as much as it would if I was just using a bead.  I'll probably get a box or 2 to try out and see how they do.