OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: The sun sets on another turkey season  (Read 3031 times)

Offline FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
The sun sets on another turkey season
« on: June 02, 2019, 03:41:30 PM »
Gentlemen,

We are now into the month of June and the 2019 OG Turkey Contest is closed. Our score was not an indication of our abilities in any way. I have been captaining this team from its creation and still proudly stand in awe of every one of my team mates.

Congratulations go out to mightyjoeyoung with our top scoring bird at 70.25. Another congratulations goes to 3seasons who had a season for the freaking record books laying (if I have counted correctly) 14 longbeards on the ground this year, using both 20 gauge and .410 shotguns. That is some serious Roaring!

As always, I am proud to be a part of this awesome team and watch with absolutely no surprise as the rest of the turkey hunting community swap out their 10 and 12 gauge hand cannons for the deadliness of the 20 and other subgrade shotguns. This is due in no small part to the tiny spheres that are being imported primarily from China. Tungsten Super Shot has changed the turkey hunting world, particularly with the offerings from several commercial ammunition companies. The average turkey hunter now no longer shoots one at 45 yards only to watch him fly or limp off. The birds just die. On one front we are in the most magnificent time in the history of turkey hunting. On another front, technology has reduced the need to be proficient woodsmen and callers. Please regard TSS shells, DSD decoys and blinds carefully, but still strive to beat our amazing quarry on the time honored eye level playing field of you, your skills and patience and him. There is no other game like this one.

How about we meet up again next year around the beginning of January and put the band back together?

I look forward to hearing from you guys. Be safe, my brothers.

Proudly,

FullChoke aka Norman

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Online TKE921

Re: The sun sets on another turkey season
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2019, 01:43:20 PM »
It has been a fun year full of firsts for me.  I am very much looking forward to next season, and hopefully getting to hunt a Merriams.  I totally agree with the statements about technology.  I could have easily tagged out very early in the season on a wide open bird @60 yds, but personally don't feel like I have won the game if he won't come in to 40 or, preferably, closer.  Many good friends would have folded that bird like a paper napkin and I would have been the first to congratulate them because it is ultimately their decision.

Offline cramerhunts

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: The sun sets on another turkey season
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2019, 03:59:04 PM »
Thank you Norman for leading this fine ship again this year and I look forward to next. Congratulations to all and may the fall and winter treat you well until we are able to take to the spring woods chasing our magnificent quarry again next year!