OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Different perspective  (Read 1385 times)

Offline Danger DAve

Different perspective
« on: June 02, 2019, 12:19:09 AM »
I am mediocre on a turkey call
at best.  I got frustrated because my calling didn't sound like the youtube videos I watched for tips.   I decided to record myself on my phone to better understand the areas I needed to work on.   When I did this and listened it sounded completely different and more like what I was hearing on the videos.  I could here the higher pitches I couldn't hear when playing live.  It's hard to describe.  Anyone have an explanation, or experienced similar?  My hearing is not the best.  Rick a d roll and firearms .out of my life.  Maybe that is a factor    Thanks for reading.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Different perspective
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2019, 01:16:43 AM »
Very similar to how our voice sounds one way to ourselves but when we hear our voice recorded it is like it is somebody else.

Recording myself has helped me quite a bit.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2019, 03:04:53 AM »
Try recording yourself outside , let the sound bounce off the trees and such .. it sounds completely different..

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2019, 08:28:00 AM »
I record every call outside and at a distance. I have had call that I thought sounded ok but after  recording was really impressed. Also had the reversed experience. In the end , cadence trumps all. Most calls that really sound good to your ear turn out to be awesome after recoding.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2019, 09:42:39 AM »
I agree with the others, much better when recorded outside and at distance. Same call first inside then outside recorded about 12 days apart.

https://soundcloud.com/user-933394494/trumpet-practice-2

https://soundcloud.com/user-933394494/2-1
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Offline Rapscallion Vermilion

• Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2019, 10:02:33 AM »
I agree, your second one sounds much better.  But not just because you were outside.  You also ran it much better.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2019, 10:07:29 AM »
I agree, your second one sounds much better.  But not just because you were outside.  You also ran it much better.
Thanks, I owe that to gergg, he made the suggestion that instead of making that strong sucking that I think all think of on yelpers and wingbones that I should instead make a motion like wha wha with my lips as I suck in and that made a world of difference and I think I am doing better on both my wingbones and yelpers because of it. Seemed to help me soften the end of the call and bring out that two tone for me better.

John Koenig: