turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Altering Strikers

Started by Spitten and drummen, May 29, 2019, 08:54:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple B

Flared tip, straight tip, its all a variable on what you personally like. They both work equally as well, depending who is on the other end.
I have had several cheaper strikers that were bad, and after I did some sanding on them, they got worse and looked like those old 1st grade pencils, after I was done.
And once in a blue moon, I would make one better.
Now I leave it to the striker builder, and there are some good ones to choose from.
Experience dictates through trial and error, what works for you. Be it flared tip, straight or whatever.
It is no different than pot surfaces, and there are more and more to choose from all the different wood combinations, the list is endless.
Hence why the Pot Call and Striker Classified,is such a busy place. We all have different opinions, on what pot calls and strikers we like.

Dogpatch Custom Calls

I'm not as deep as most are into the striker turning game but I have definitely seen that the minor adjustments make major differences.  My call making mentor told me something that has stuck with me "Making turkey calls all boils down to 2 things...1.) Do the turkeys like it  2.) The turkey in everybody's head sounds different"

What alterations work best?  It all boils down to personal preference, what the turkey in your head sounds like and.................do the turkeys like it

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: Sir-diealot on May 30, 2019, 10:24:40 PM
Quote from: outdoors on May 30, 2019, 09:04:29 AM
Quote from: Bowguy on May 30, 2019, 04:58:37 AM
Anytime I get strikers that aren't straight I use sandpaper to make em flat. I'm no fan of any bullet nose or anything like that. Not much sanding. Never had a prob
I'v been told flat striker heads are for more experienced users  I'm not
Just sounds better too my ears and better control
I really do hate this comment, I used strait strikers for years before I came to this site and learned of the other kinds available, It has nothing to do with experience, some peoples hands are simply more comfortable running one kind of striker and some with others or some people can run all kinds like myself but have a preference for what I like to call a mushroom head or for any other kind of tip, whichever suits them best.

Saying it is experience is insulting to say the least, it is just like some people like V-Neck T-Shirs and some prefer Crew Cut T-Shirts, it has nothing at all to do with experience, just preference. To say otherwise sounds elitist.

I dont think the poster intended the comment the way you took it. I believe he was saying that a flared or mushroom tipped striker is more forgiving therefore would be easier to run consistent for a less experienced caller. I still use a variety of different tipped strikers. The part in your post about the way people hold them ect. Is spot on.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE