OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: How A Turkey Got It's Name  (Read 3785 times)

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
How A Turkey Got It's Name
« on: May 28, 2019, 05:18:37 PM »
I thought some might find this interesting.

How A Turkey Got It's Name
Turkey Subspecies

Posted: September 11, 2018

Ever wonder who/how the 5 North America Turkey Subspecies obtained their names? I did, so I thought I would share...

Eastern Wild Turkey – (Meleagris gallopavo silvestris)

The bird was named by Louis J.P. Vieillot (1748-1830) in 1817.  Silvestris meaning “Forest Turkey” Is the most widely distributed subspecies east of the Mississippi River. They are also the most abundant. You can find them in 38 states and numerous Canadian provinces.

Gould Wild Turkey – (Meleagris gallopavo Mexicana)

The bird was named by John Gould (1804-1881) in 1856 during his travels in Mexico.  Gould turkeys are found in the southern portions of Arizona and New Mexico as well as northern Mexico.

Rio Grande Wild Turkey – (Meleagris gallopavo Intermedia)

The bird was named by George B. Sennett (1840-1900) in 1879.  He named it after the Rio Grande River, near which the bird lives.   These Turkeys are concentrated in western desert regions of Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas and other western states.

Osceola Wild Turkey – (Meleagris gallopavo Osceola)

The bird was named by William Earle Dodge (W.E.D) Scott (1852-1910) in 1890. He named it after the famous Seminole Indian Chief Osceola, who was alive in the earlier part of the century. The Osceola wild turkey is also known as the Florida wild turkey and is found in the center two-thirds of the state.

Merriam Wild Turkey – (Meleagris gallopavo Merriam)

The name was named by Dr. Edward W. Nelson (1855-1934) in 1900, who named it after C. Hart Merriam, the first chief biologist of the U.S. Biological Survey.  The Rocky Mountains are considered the central hub of the population.

https://www.callcollector.com/blog/64-how-a-turkey-got-it-s-name.html
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 07:06:14 PM by Sir-diealot »
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline owlhoot

• Paintbrush Beard
Re: How A Turkey Got It's Name
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2019, 09:31:05 AM »
interesting, thanks.

Offline HookedonHooks

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • You gotta keep on keepin' on.
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2019, 09:36:27 AM »
This reminded me of a project I did in the 4th grade about all the various subspecies of wild turkey. I wonder if my mom still has it, she kept a lot of my school projects. That'd be one I'd definitely like to have back.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2019, 09:49:38 AM »
interesting, thanks.
You're quite welcome.

This reminded me of a project I did in the 4th grade about all the various subspecies of wild turkey. I wonder if my mom still has it, she kept a lot of my school projects. That'd be one I'd definitely like to have back.
Most mothers are good at that stuff, would not surprise me if she does. I would love to see it posted here if she did.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Online Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2019, 06:41:14 PM »
Lot's of good information on the web ... turkeys have between 5000 - 6000 feathers. Turkey dropping tell's birds age and sex.. Males J shape , females spiral shape .. larger the diameter the older the bird....

Offline Bullet1

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2019, 02:14:45 PM »
Good read, thanks!

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2019, 02:16:11 PM »
Lot's of good information on the web ... turkeys have between 5000 - 6000 feathers. Turkey dropping tell's birds age and sex.. Males J shape , females spiral shape .. larger the diameter the older the bird....
Good info, thanks for sharing.

Good read, thanks!
You're quite welcome, glad you enjoyed it.

John Koenig: