OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: SCOTCH-BRITE GRIT CHART--Which color is best?  (Read 48284 times)

Offline paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
Re: SCOTCH-BRITE GRIT CHART--Which color is best?
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2019, 11:28:09 AM »
On slate, all we need is a LIGHT scratching to slightly rough the surface and clean the oil on the call brought on from our fingers (Green is fine for that).  Crystal and glass can be taken care of with sandpaper, drywall screen and conditioning stone.  IMO these conditioners can be obtained easily at Wally World, Home Improvement Centers and hardware stories fairly cheap.

:agreed:
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline idgobble

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2019, 12:35:22 PM »
Not sure what you're looking at but this one has nothing but 5 star reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Brite-Extra-Duty-Length-Width/dp/B0098MC1AS/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=brown+scotch+brite+pads&qid=1558931756&s=gateway&sr=8-3
That looks more maroon or red rather than brown which is what I was looking for by the list above. In the one picture it even looks pink. Says heavy duty though so maybe the color does not matter after all? Price is still outrageous and so much for 2 day shipping being free even with Prime.

You can tell it's brown by the #6444. Rapscallion has a good solution for 2-3 sheets of #6444 with the Woodworker's Supply link.  One 6"x9" sheet is good for about 8 nice size pieces, which will last me 100 years unless I give pieces away, which I seem to do often.  Actually, I don't think it would make much difference to a turkey if you were using #6444-brown-240 grit or the #7447-maroon-320 grit and the maroon is easier to find.  I wouldn't use the #6448-green-600 grit. 
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 12:47:08 PM by idgobble »

Offline LabsRUsII

• TTP Game Calls
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2019, 12:47:25 PM »
Go at an automotive paint store car quest napa  they can get all colors and sell by the sheet

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Custom Call Maker
Turkey Calls- Trumpets, Tubes, Pots, Boxes
 Duck Calls and whistles
Exotic woods

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2019, 02:17:26 PM »
Woodworker's Supply is local for me, but they are one of the best online suppliers for woodworking supplies.  Shipping is $5. 

https://woodworker.com/6x9-scotch-brite-800-grit-lt-gray-mssu-125-762.asp
Thanks, though the price per sheet is higher the fact that you don't have to buy as many makes it seem much more worth it.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2019, 02:18:07 PM »
Not sure what you're looking at but this one has nothing but 5 star reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Brite-Extra-Duty-Length-Width/dp/B0098MC1AS/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=brown+scotch+brite+pads&qid=1558931756&s=gateway&sr=8-3
That looks more maroon or red rather than brown which is what I was looking for by the list above. In the one picture it even looks pink. Says heavy duty though so maybe the color does not matter after all? Price is still outrageous and so much for 2 day shipping being free even with Prime.

You can tell it's brown by the #6444. Rapscallion has a good solution for 2-3 sheets of #6444 with the Woodworker's Supply link.  One 6"x9" sheet is good for about 8 nice size pieces, which will last me 100 years unless I give pieces away, which I seem to do often.  Actually, I don't think it would make much difference to a turkey if you were using #6444-brown-240 grit or the #7447-maroon-320 grit and the maroon is easier to find.  I wouldn't use the #6448-green-600 grit.
Thanks, I agree, much better solution.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2019, 06:56:58 PM »
I use whatever I have on hand to clean slate. I personally cannot tell the difference between the different colors. Now sandpaper and sanding screen on glass or crystal, I can tell a difference.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Offline Txag12

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2019, 09:38:38 PM »
I use whatever I have on hand to clean slate. I personally cannot tell the difference between the different colors. Now sandpaper and sanding screen on glass or crystal, I can tell a difference.

Always down to try another way of doing it, which do you prefer? I feel I get my best from 120 drywall screen

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2019, 09:53:46 PM »

Always down to try another way of doing it, which do you prefer? I feel I get my best from 120 drywall screen

I use 220 if I want cleaner yelps and coarser grit like 120 or 80 if I want more rasp. I actually use all three at different times on the same call.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Offline Muzzy61

• Longbeard
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2019, 02:57:32 PM »
Green is easy to find and works.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr