OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Federal 3”hw #6

Started by Leadchunker, June 02, 2019, 09:14:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leadchunker

Anyone have any good results with these I know the #7 is preferred just curious if these are worth trying

crow

I have an old 20ga. with a fixed full choke that patterns them very well for head/neck shots at 40 plus yds, they hit a turkey like a hammer.

most ballistic gel tests have them performing/penetrating like lead #2 shot, with of course the benefit of increased pellet count.

if a follow up shot is needed the extra penetration over the HVWT 7's is a plus

The 6's patterned better with a little more open choke than the HVWT 7's did in the guns I shot them in

Leadchunker

What choke size u like for them

Liljake

I've shot the #6 HW thru Carlson's .575 and Sumtoy's .567-5 and the Carlson's put up slightly better numbers. The Sumtoy shot # 6 longbeard xr better than the Carlson's.
I Love matching wits with a bird that has a brain the size of a peanut.

Leadchunker

Ok thanks I will try Carlson's shooting rem 870 20 ga 21" barrel

crow

the fixed full choke is .581

the screw in chokes were for a mossberg, the choke that did the best 10" was the mossberg XX full turkey choke

Also Tried a SSX .550 and the trulock HVWT #7 choke, both of these shot great #7 patterns but not as good as the mossberg turkey choke with the HVWT #6's

The fixed .581 choke out shot the mossburg XXfull turkey choke for 10" patterns with the HVWT #6's

savduck

They like a 570 out of two of my guns
Georgia Boy

Greg Massey

Trulock 565 is great with either Federal HW 6 or 7 .....