OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Spring 2019 In Review  (Read 2730 times)

Offline PD

Spring 2019 In Review
« on: May 26, 2019, 12:02:53 PM »
My season started with a short trip to Kansas which was FILLED with Jake encounters. I would venture to say my friend and I passed on 20+ shot opportunities on jakes, but both harvested one. I believe the trip was short of longbeard encounters due to the amount of grouped up jakes that seemed to keep the toms at bay- always a fun trip regardless. Back to my home state of Illinois. One of my permits was filled on a 22 pound gobbler with an 11 1/4" beard, 7/8" spurs on a late morning setup. I was able to set up on him at 10:20 and shot him at 10:40. Another permit was filled with a sharp-spurred limbhanger, later season 19 pound tom with an 11 1/4" beard, 1 1/4" and a broken 1 1/8"  spur. This was also a short hunt which took place after I got off night shift. I got a gobble out of him and he was dead within 5 minutes. Successful hunts are fun, but this year's funnest hunts were my unsuccessful ones on a gobbler I could NOT catch up to. I think this is at least the second year this turkey has outwitted me. I took countless different approaches on one-upping this gobbler over a 3 week period; I called to him, I set up on him early, I set up on him late, I set up without calling, I hunted with and without decoys, and he managed to give me the slip every single time. I had him within 50 yards..TWICE!..and he used the terrain to his advantage. There were also times he would taunt me with 1 or 2 gobbles as if to only let me know he was there, then go silent. These are the ones that keep us coming back for more. I'm a spur guy, and I can only hope I get to see how big his are next year. On to deer season prep, and the long wait until the always anticipated, next turkey season.
Whack'n'Stack

Offline PD

Re: Spring 2019 In Review
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2019, 12:03:34 PM »
Whack'n'Stack

Offline PD

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2019, 12:03:50 PM »
Whack'n'Stack

Offline PD

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2019, 12:04:08 PM »
Whack'n'Stack

Offline Caleb7mm

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2019, 09:19:36 PM »
Thanks for sharing!! Looks like a good time was had for sure. :)

Online High plains drifter

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2021, 01:17:57 PM »
I've had a lot of gobbler success in the last 15 years, and the key to my success has been scouting,  and getting out there in the pitch black, 0 dark thirty. Also, learning how to call, when to call, and what call to use.

Offline MissLouHunter

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2021, 09:43:43 AM »
Great story!