OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Do you leave your turkey choke in when you swap the bore between shots?

Started by bowpro, May 24, 2019, 11:18:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bowpro

Or do you pull it and replace it with another choke prior to swapping the barrel?

Sir-diealot

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

CrustyRusty

Yes, I leave everything intact as if it will be used again(hopefully sooner than later)

Sir-diealot

Quote from: CrustyRusty on May 24, 2019, 11:38:08 AM
Yes, I leave everything intact as if it will be used again(hopefully sooner than later)
I do not know myself, I just asked the question because I knew others would be wondering exactly what you meant. You may want to modify your post to say what you are doing.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

eddie234

If I'm just cleaning it after a successful hunt I'll leave the turkey choke in. If I'm doing a deep cleaning I'll replace it with the factory choke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sir-diealot

Quote from: eddie234 on May 24, 2019, 12:34:11 PM
If I'm just cleaning it after a successful hunt I'll leave the turkey choke in. If I'm doing a deep cleaning I'll replace it with the factory choke.

I do not believe he is asking about cleaning by his reply to me, I believe his is talking about polishing the barrel.

John Koenig:

eddie234

Quote from: Sir-diealot on May 24, 2019, 12:39:14 PM

I do not believe he is asking about cleaning by his reply to me, I believe his is talking about polishing the barrel.
According to the OP topic do you leave the choke in when you swab the barrel? It would indicate he talking about cleaning. But whatever

bowpro

The question is for just when you run a bore snake through it between shots.   Do you leave it in or replace it with another choke.  For some reason, I dont like to run the bore snake through my good choke, especially ported chokes.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: eddie234 on May 24, 2019, 12:48:12 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on May 24, 2019, 12:39:14 PM

According to the OP topic do you leave the choke in when you swab the barrel? It would indicate he talking about cleaning. But whatever

You are correct, I missed the word "Swab" Sorry about that, was not trying to start anything.

Quote from: bowpro on May 24, 2019, 12:50:54 PM
The question is for just when you run a bore snake through it between shots.   Do you leave it in or replace it with another choke.  For some reason, I dont like to run the bore snake through my good choke, especially ported chokes.
Oh you can just leave it in bud, I always have and have never seen anyone else remove one when doing that. Only time I can think of that you might is with a ported choke tube and I honestly don't think you would remove it then either.

John Koenig:

runngun

If a single barrel,double barrel or O/U, I spray carburetor cleaner in the bore with Turkey choke installed then pass brush a couple of times then I take a piece of paper towel or shop towel wadded up and push though barrel. Then I remove Turkey choke and clean well with a toothbrush. Regrease threads and reinstall. 
On auto or pumps I do the same except I use bore snake. 

Have a good one
Ray

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Greg Massey

Just snake it and keep shooting .. now if your doing a good cleaning i will take it out , put old choke in and clean the gun...  I always use anti seize after ever season regardless on all my chokes ... Some of the best stuff you can buy to clean your barrel and choke with to remove plastic buildup is Butch's bore shine ... you can buy it off amazon and have it delivered to your door at reasonable price ....

Bay1985

There's nothing a bore snake can do to harm a choke...you just fired a wad of lead or TSS or whatever thru the choke plus the wad and powder/buffer. What could a bore snake possibly do? It's kinda like the guys worried that a green scotchbrite is going to remove metal when polishing a barell.....only if your shooting a plastic barell toy gun lol.

CrustyRusty

Sorry...senior moment lol.

Simply stated, I just keep it in. 

Quote from: Sir-diealot on May 24, 2019, 12:05:11 PM
Quote from: CrustyRusty on May 24, 2019, 11:38:08 AM
I do not know myself, I just asked the question because I knew others would be wondering exactly what you meant. You may want to modify your post to say what you are doing.

coyote1

I keep the turkey choke in when using a bore snake between shots. I install the factory choke for a thorough end of season cleaning and clean the turkey choke seperately. I agree with the comment above, butchs bore shine is a great cleaner.