turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hunting new states

Started by Southerngobbler, May 26, 2019, 10:19:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southerngobbler

I'm really  interested in prolonging my turkey season. I see people having 10 to 15 tags on this forum and wow that seems nice. I live in N/W Florida now but did 10 years in NM when I was younger. From NM I hunted all the western states for big mulies and elk but now I live in the south and am into turkeys.
What states can ya'll recommend to try first. Alabama seems like a likely choice  but their season only last one week longer than my season here in FL (Apr 21) and you have to buy their entire big game tag- $300 or more. Louisiana seems like a bust as I hear people complain about the turkey population there. Anyone on here from FL and hunting some other states and doing OK ?

LaLongbeard

Head north. Seasons start later end later
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

zelmo1

NH started May1 and ends May 31 this year, Maine started April 29 and ends June 1. These are the latest dates I know of

bbcoach

As you know the southern states (lower Florida) start the first week of March and the northern states (PA, Maine and New York and northern midwest states) are just finishing up so you have a 3 month window to plan trips.  Some states have liberal bag limits and non resident licenses aren't costly so...  I would recommend spending some time on the states DNR websites that interest you and plan your trip for next year, now.  Only you know your time and financial limitations so plan accordingly now and next year you could have memories that will last a lifetime.   

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: bbcoach on May 27, 2019, 04:02:30 AM
As you know the southern states (lower Florida) start the first week of March and the northern states (PA, Maine and New York and northern midwest states) are just finishing up so you have a 3 month window to plan trips.  Some states have liberal bag limits and non resident licenses aren't costly so...  I would recommend spending some time on the states DNR websites that interest you and plan your trip for next year, now.  Only you know your time and financial limitations so plan accordingly now and next year you could have memories that will last a lifetime.   

Well said. I made a Missouri hunt this year. Im planning NW Missouri and E Tennessee next year. If you have the extra funds , doing these trips are not difficult at all.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Tomfoolery

Better be on your game if you come to LA.

silvestris

I just want to hunt in Louisiana and Mississippi, but turkeywise, nobody's home.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Wigsplitter

Don't come to Arkansas....it's bad

zelmo1

My Buddy Del Crow says " turkeys ain't smart , they just need to act right"