OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Are you a turkey counter ??  (Read 5901 times)

Offline cracker4112

Re: Are you a turkey counter ??
« Reply #60 on: May 23, 2019, 04:58:35 PM »
No here.  I remember my first when I was 11, and I remember my 12 year olds first this year 34 years later.  In between I remember a bunch of them I've called up for myself, for my brother and sister, and for friends.  I have a lot of good memories of others' first birds, memorable doubles, etc.

But I definitely remember the times they've whooped me, some of my fondest memories in fact, that remind me why I go.

Offline mudhen

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #61 on: May 23, 2019, 05:14:04 PM »
Yes...every one...
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

Offline renegade19

• Double Beard
« Reply #62 on: May 23, 2019, 05:53:18 PM »
I don't count.  I've lost track of how many. 

Offline renegade19

• Double Beard
« Reply #63 on: May 23, 2019, 06:05:58 PM »
I know right away not to take someone very seriously if they tell me they do not keep the beards and spurs. Usually a warning sign to me what type of hunter I am listening to.

Let's be careful in offering opinions so this thread doesn't go off the rails like one recently did. I will admit I could think this comment was directed at me, but I know your making a general statement.

Just for the record, I worked 31 years for a state wildlife agency in Fisheries, I have a box of commendations from various state and private agencies for my service to sportsmen,  I was a long time member of NWTF, I supported trap and transplant efforts, as part of my job I ran a check station, I worked with the trapping crews in my off season, I managed 1,000 acres of private timber land for grouse and turkey. I have hunted 7 states over 48 years and killed a grand slam. I obey laws and hunt ethically. I have been shot and almost died in a turkey hunting accident. I only keep the meat from turkeys, I got tired of all the stuff. I did throw it all away after I was shot, because I felt trophy hunting added to accidents as the pressure to succeed made people take chances. Yet by your statement I am "one of those type hunters (whatever that is), because I only keep the meat. I consider myself a sportsman and lover of all the great outdoors that God has given us domain over.

You see how generalized statements can accidentally offend and start arguments.  I know what your trying to say, but it did make me write all this.....

Was the quote you responded to deleted?  I can't find it but thanks for your response.  I don't keep beards or spurs either.  I've got several fan/beard/spur displays and just don't need any more trophies.  I was gonna sell mine on ebay but it's illegal in my state.  Too bad, looks like a good way to help fund the addiction.  I'm also a legal and ethical hunter. Wonder why not keeping beards and spurs makes me otherwise?

Offline mozart_hunter

« Reply #64 on: May 23, 2019, 06:09:12 PM »
Yes I do. I have a log book of every deer and turkey kill with photos since I started hunting. Really like looking back at all the past photos. 

Offline sasquatch1

• The Boss Gobbler
Are you a turkey counter ??
« Reply #65 on: May 23, 2019, 06:38:50 PM »
Don't keep count. Don't matter to me. I've always been about the difficulty of the Gobbler killed, rather than how many I have killed. I keep each and every beard, with spurs attached with a fishing line loop. Reckon one day I could add them up. I know right away not to take someone very seriously if they tell me they do not keep the beards and spurs. Usually a warning sign to me what type of hunter I am listening to.

Why is this? About trusting ppl who don’t keep them? I’m just curious as I stopped keeping them because o got tired of moving the nasty things around.

I do have 3 subspecies mounted and will add an osceola hopefully soon. All public land birds.

And maybe I’m diff in some way but I hunt turkeys every single day of the season possible. All off days and every morning of night shift, from March 15th to early May when the only seasons open are 15-20hrs away from me. And even then I go if I have enough time off to make it.

I’d use vacation but I take all 3 weeks for elk hunting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline J Lacey

• Shag Hill Custom Box Calls
« Reply #66 on: May 23, 2019, 07:42:46 PM »
I've kept a count of every gobbler I've killed since the first one on 3-30-1990.  Personally its important to me and my journey. Its satisfying to me that I have that info.  Everybody's different. Some guys could care less about a spur or a beard or a count.  That's perfectly fine. We all gotta do our own little deal however it is we wanna do it...…...Most times when I kill a turkey I'll sit a spell. Maybe as long as an hour, being quite and reflecting. I try to soak it all up. I don't scream and holler or jump up and down. If someone else does that's perfectly fine. I've celebrated myself from time to time.

I know turkey hunters that are way into the 100's that are too modest to talk numbers. I know guys that have killed 15 birds and will tell you they've killed so many they've lost count. Either way doesn't change my little deal.  Hope you all had a great season...…..
2020 Ohio Buckeye World Champion
2020 GNCC Amateur National Champion
2022 Ohio Buckeye World Champion
2022 GNCC Don Chancey award winner

Offline quavers59

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #67 on: May 23, 2019, 08:05:11 PM »
I have always kept a Journal. So, I have 30 Spring Seasons and 29 Fall Season in 3 States- NY,NJ,+ PA. Right now, I have 119 Wild Turkeys with 49 of them being Longbeards. All on Public Land or crowded gun club lands. NY is still open and, I hope to take my 50th Longbeard before May 31st runs out at Noon. I got started late at age 30 as there were no Turkeys in my area when, I was 14. I am 59 now.

Offline SteelerFan

• Double Beard
« Reply #68 on: May 23, 2019, 08:34:22 PM »
Why yes, yes I do.

By the way... this post deserves more credit. Lol

Congrats Sir-diealot!  :icon_thumright:

Hobbes

« Reply #69 on: May 23, 2019, 09:11:36 PM »
I don't have an accurate count.  I can ballpark it, maybe sit down and try to count them all up.  I can tell you how many years I've hunted.  I can tell you the most I've killed in a season, which states I've killed birds in, how many I've killed in the last 4 or 5 seasons.  As far as beards and spurs......I had a box of them when I hunted Easterns.  I lost some to moths, lost some in a couple moves (IL to CO and CO to MT), still have a few.  I have Merriam's beards scattered around the house, box here and shelf there.  At least half of them aren't kept and it's rare that I keep their spurs.  Who needs a bucket of Merriam's nubs and scraggly beards sitting around?  They amount to nothing.

I can't hardly bear to throw fans away, at least not initially.  But.....how many fans can a guy hang on the wall.  I usually keep them piled up until they get in the way.  I tried to give a pile away a couple years ago to fly fishermen, but trashed most of them when only one guy wanted one.  Can't keep them in my freezer forever or stacked in the garage.  I keep the primaries and send to traditional archers if I can find them in need. 

I do take a pile of photos.  I'm not sure what "type of hunter" that means I am.  Have at it though, and make assumptions.  I can tell you this....I love turkeys, I hunt my tail off, I do a fair job of hunting them, but lot's of guys have killed more than me.

Offline Tail Feathers

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #70 on: May 23, 2019, 09:26:01 PM »
I knew the number after several years of turkey hunting.  I haven't kept up in while and couldn't tell you now.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Offline Cut N Run

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • North Carolina
« Reply #71 on: May 23, 2019, 10:14:02 PM »
I don't know the number of gobblers I've killed, but I know how many some of my calls have pulled in.  I met an old timer who notched his calls for every gobbler he killed with them. I started doing it just because I liked the idea.  Now, before I go further, I need to clarify that none of my calls are high dollar or fancy.  I told this on another forum & had folks almost lose their minds over it.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Online Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #72 on: May 23, 2019, 10:48:46 PM »
I know right away not to take someone very seriously if they tell me they do not keep the beards and spurs. Usually a warning sign to me what type of hunter I am listening to.
I am not following you on this one???  Some hunters like to keep a memento from each bird, some have pictures filed away, and some just look forward to the next hunt after enjoying the moment..

Tail fans are pretty, but take up space, and while beards and spurs are cool, they are not all that aesthetically pleasing.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #73 on: May 23, 2019, 10:54:01 PM »
Why yes, yes I do.

By the way... this post deserves more credit. Lol

Congrats Sir-diealot!  :icon_thumright:
I was wondering if anybody was going to catch it. Thanks :D
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline WiLL B

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #74 on: May 23, 2019, 11:56:28 PM »
Yeah I know the count. Got all the beards. Got all the pictures. Helps with the memories. One day when I'm not able to hunt I can sit on the porch and reminiscence.