OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Are you a turkey counter ??  (Read 5930 times)

Offline Chordeiles

Re: Are you a turkey counter ??
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2019, 12:13:57 AM »
Nope

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2019, 06:28:25 AM »
I did up to a number. Once I hit that then I lost count. The numbers became less important to me. I know my misses but the screw ups are too numerous to even attempt to come up with a number.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Offline eggshell

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2019, 07:01:15 AM »
No I don't

I don't even keep beards or spurs anymore, if you can't eat it I don't keep it. I have some people ask for feathers from time to time for crafts. I bagged up all my fans, spurs and beards a few years ago and set them out for the garbage truck. Even my wife couldn't believe it. For some reason it just came to the point it seemed like a vain and useless thing. I do keep a photo of each bird, but some from my early years were lost, so I could guess with maybe 10-20 but that's about it. .

I will tell you a count that does matter. The number of turkeys that are out there in the woods. The various state agencys have done a wonderful job building our flocks. when I started there were only a few area with birds and if you found 1 or maybe 2 gobblers to hunt you camped out on them. Now you just decide which one to go after and they are everywhere. That is the best number. I kill more in one season than I did in 10 years when I started.

Offline btomlin

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2019, 07:45:17 AM »
No, I could probably get close if really thought about it

Offline Fdept56

« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2019, 08:06:09 AM »
I know exactly how many I have killed but every time someone asks the answer is always “not enough”.

Offline zelmo1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • Take a Newbie Hunting
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2019, 08:49:16 AM »
Old guy here, I can guess and be in the ballpark. But I do keep a journal of turkeys taken, missed, called in to range,  seen conditions and sex/maturity and location. I would need to go through them all to get the exact total. Then forget and do it all over again, lol. I do use the info to determine my past successes and failures in certain areas.  :OGturkeyhead:

Online davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2019, 08:57:15 AM »
I do not know off the top of my head but I do mark each beard with the number on the shell casing I stick it in and add the number to my journal post. To my knowledge no one else besides maybe my wife would know the number. I have photos in my journal of the Gobbler so I can pull the beard out as I relive the hunt in my mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2019, 09:01:14 AM »
Like others, when I was new to the addiction, I could tell you exactly how many I had killed.  That ended about thirty years ago.  I could take a w.a.g. now, but I would have to think about it for a while,...and thinking is hard nowadays.   ;D

I do admire those folks that have kept a log of hunts over time.  I did that for a while and then stopped,...I wish I hadn't. 

I will tell you a count that does matter. The number of turkeys that are out there in the woods.

Totally agree, eggshell. A lot of my satisfaction nowadays comes in the form of just going to the woods, hearing those gobblers, and knowing that they are out there and doing well. 

Online cwb04

« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2019, 09:54:47 AM »
Yes.  How many I have killed and how many I have called up for others which is about a 2:1 ratio.  I keep a log with dates and places. 

Offline AndyH

« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2019, 10:11:09 AM »
No I do not keep count, But I can remember just about every successful turkey hunt I’ve been  apart of. I wish I would have kept a journal or log of some sort.

Offline Swenny

« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2019, 10:12:20 AM »
I keep a little notebook of the turkey and deer that I've bagged over the years. I also make an entry for when I go wingshooting.

What I don't write down, but what is also seared into my memory are the ones that have busted before I got a shot, not to mention the one that I missed at twenty yards (how the heck that happened still keeps me up and night and makes me shake my head).

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Offline Swenny

« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2019, 10:14:22 AM »
No I do not keep count, But I can remember just about every successful turkey hunt I’ve been  apart of. I wish I would have kept a journal or log of some sort.

Not too late, brother.  Grab a little fifty cent spiral notebook and start with what you remember! Put it in your pocket for when something drops into your memory and pretty soon you'll have a treasure!

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Offline nebgoosehunter

« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2019, 10:38:10 AM »
Yes, but only because I keep a log.

Offline wvboy

• Central VA .. But WV is Home
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2019, 11:14:40 AM »
As someone else said.. not enough yet.. :)

I am on the No Side .. I have a rough idea, but never kept an exact count. If I counted up my beards I guess I could get within 2 or 3 as I think I have only lost that many over the years.
RB .. Take me Home Country Roads

Offline redjones

« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2019, 12:12:17 PM »
No,like a lot of guys I have a good idea how many but not an exact number.
All I really know is I enjoyed each and every hunt that I have been on during the time I have chased after them.

Greg
Semper Fi