OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Are you a turkey counter ??  (Read 5902 times)

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
Are you a turkey counter ??
« on: May 22, 2019, 09:30:15 PM »
I talk turkey to, pretty much, anyone who wants to.  A couple decades back, I held a position with a company that allowed/ required me to talk turkey with a few thousand folks each year.  I noticed, early on, that there were always the folks who had a number right on the tip of their tongue.  Now...…………...granted...…..if a person is relatively new to the sport (sickness) of turkey hunting and has taken a relatively small number of birds, he/she will likely know exactly how many.  But, eventually, recall will fail you and you won't be able to just close your eyes and count on your fingers.  So in order to know how many tags you've punched over your career, you'd have had to have kept a running tally.

Do you ??  Keep a running tally ??  Do you KNOW......right now, without having to try to count......how many wild turkeys you have taken ??

NOT asking for a number, but more of a "yes I do" or "no I do not".

Just a curiosity thang.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
Re: Are you a turkey counter ??
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 09:33:07 PM »
Nope. I kept track when I first started but then I realized that it doesn't matter. I just try and play my best game on the next one.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 09:33:44 PM »
Why yes, yes I do.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 09:37:29 PM »
Nope. I kept track when I first started but then I realized that it doesn't matter. I just try and play my best game on the next one.
I also lost a lot of beards between moving and pets and that was probably a good thing in the long run.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline guesswho

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Gobbler Goober
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 09:39:06 PM »
Yes.   I'm pretty sure I know the exact number of gobblers, but not total turkeys.   The number doesn't mean squat, but I know what it is.   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Offline Wisgobbler

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2019, 09:39:30 PM »
Honestly, no I don’t know exactly how many birds I’ve killed. I remember some of them. My first, my biggest, one that circled behind me so close that when he drummed behind me it sounded like someone punching a beach ball, he busted me and I sawed off a jack pine trying to shoot him left handed as he made good his get away. The only Merriam I’ve killed,.... most vivid are my sons first a jake when he was 10 and his biggest taken this year at 13... I don’t think numbers matter but there are a couple I wouldn’t trade for a thousand more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2019, 09:46:52 PM »
Just to add or clarify...…………. I am in no way asserting that one way or the other is right or wrong.   Just curious as to how others roll on this...………

FWIW...………….. I am a "no, I do not" .   If I sat down and racked my brain, I could likely come to within somewhere aroud 10 or so of the actual number.   I just ain't that interested.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Offline merriamsman

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2019, 09:49:24 PM »
I know roughly how many I’ve killed, but I couldn’t give an exact number. I remember many of the kills and details of the more memorable kills. But I remember in great detail each and every bird I have missed or screwed up on.

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2019, 09:50:41 PM »
I’ve kept a hunting journal for deer and turkeys since I was a kid. I have the date time and location as well as weather etc and hunt  details of every single Gobbler I’ve killed. Some people ask how many Ive  killed when they find out how serious I am about turkey hunting  but I never say, I know and  that’s what matters.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2019, 09:52:52 PM »
But I remember in great detail each and every bird I have missed or screwed up on.

SO TRUE !!!   And so NOT funny it's funny !!!!   ;D

Also gave me an idea for another post at another time.
PA elitist since 1979

Offline paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2019, 09:54:06 PM »
Between fall and spring seasons, no, I do not.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline yelpy

• Double Beard
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2019, 09:54:24 PM »
Nope.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2019, 09:56:57 PM »
Nope ... but I've had a lot of fun .... cried little also... lol :TooFunny:

Offline bowpro

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2019, 10:01:03 PM »
No,I don't know. I mark my guns with each kill, but many of them are kills my sons have made.

Offline Wigsplitter

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2019, 10:01:38 PM »
Yes— I keep a journal as mentioned above also write down some of those special ones and slip in a hull- fun to go back and remember those in great detail- I feel like as the years go by the recall of those hunts will need help. When I’m old and can’t go anymore I hope those will bring me recall and happiness looking back at them