turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Calls n cadence

Started by Bowguy, May 22, 2019, 08:14:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bowguy

This morning on the way to work a friend n I were talking. He's heard me say this before but we all know different calls or changing calls may work.
Say you go from slate to aluminum. The call may be louder or more "reaching". What we discussed was just something I theorize and not something I've ever tested so I'd like to hear others thoughts on this.
Say we take the pot call surface change out of the equation just a bit. If you had say a ceramic, glass, etc you'd prob play them relatively similarly. (To a point).
Say you had 3 short or longboxes and ran them consecutively. They might sound dif but the cadence or rythym you play would be different than the pots.
Add scratchers, wingbones, trumpets, etc in the mix and they run best at a separate run styles we'll say.
Guess when I put together calls for the season I'd pick a pot or so, a longbox and a scratcher, mouth call or two. I feel a greater variety of scenarios is readily possibly than say 5 dif pot calls or 5 dif short boxes,
This isn't saying the pots calls will sound similar. I just think besides the sound often that change of playing style has as much to do with a bird's preference as not.
Not trying to convince anyone. Just an after season discussion. What ya all think

guesswho

I learned a long time ago that changing calls without necessarily changing calls may be the kickoff to the game.   The last several years I have went to just a mouth call and a trumpet style caller, usually a my Sharpe wingbone or cane call.  I'm confident enough in those to change styles mid-stream.     
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Bowguy

That's an option as well. Many guys can prob make that adjustment. I just believe strongly that change is important at times.

Happy

Yup. I dont think that the tone is as important as the delivery. However if you can mimic the tone and cadence of a known hen in that area then that can be a game changer as well.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Rapscallion Vermilion

Interesting topic that isn't discussed much. I have a tendency, on average, to run pot calls at a slightly faster cadence than a trumpet, and a tendency to run a box call a bit slower than a trumpet.  I believe this has more to do with the different dynamics involved in running these very different calls and I work hard to bring them more into agreement with a real hen's cadence.  Another difference besides the cadence is the length of a single yelp.  With trumpets it takes some proficiency to obtain a realistic length to the yelp "note" and with box calls one often hears beginners making their individual yelps too long.  The idea that the change of cadence or the length of the yelps can get a stronger response from a gobbler is something that I think has a lot of merit.

Greg Massey

Regardless , what your playing you need a little rhythm, soft , loud ..cadence... it's has to do with the mood of the turkeys, it's matting season ,  they get all excited and tore up over a pretty hen.. just like we get all tore up over a gobbler coming to the gun barrel... 

silvestris

I use several types of callers and my cadence is the same with them all.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Marc

In the early spring (when hens tend to be very vocal in my area), I concentrate far more attention on listening to the hens, what they are saying, and how they are saying it.

I feel that a confrontational hen has a different cadence than does a lonely hen looking for a partner...  Also, the cadence of that lonely hen often picks up, when she strikes up a gobble...

The observational aspect of turkey hunting is a large part of the appeal to me...  Watching how birds actually respond to each other is of great interest to me, and listening as well as watching in the woods is part of the fascination.

Sometimes I will try to sound relaxed or content, sometimes aggressive, and sometimes somewhere in the middle.  Sometimes I kill a bird...   Often, I scratch my head and wonder what I could have done different.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Rzrbac

For me personally, I feel like I run a pot faster than a box. My trumpet playing is new to me and I haven't established a consistent yelp or cadence. My mouth calls are usually ran at a pretty quick pace. I'm much more proficient with the mouth call so I can change it up to suit what I feel the situation calls for.

Now as for what finally trips a gobblers trigger...about the time I think I have it figured out they change the game on me.  :funnyturkey:

Spitten and drummen

I feel cadence is the most important part of the calling process but I tend to feel that the backend of the yelp is the trigger point. I tend to listen to the hens and I try to focus on the one particular hen that the gobblers respond to the best. I try to mimic her rythem and sequences. I will also pick a particular call that sounds as close to her voice as possible. A very long time ago I was set up on a ridge and had several hens around me. There were 2 birds gobbling off the end of it maybe 125 yards are so. The hens were very vocal. The birds gobbled decent but everytime this one hen made a sound , the 2 gobblers would jump on it. She had a gravely yelp that sounded like a box call. I pulled out a box that sounded very close to her and had my foot on ones head in a half hour. I have had excellent results with this method over the last 30 years or so. I could give several examples of this that I have experienced. We all know nothing is a sure thing in this sport , but that is a little nugget I tend to use when I am amongst a wad of hens.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Bowguy

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on May 23, 2019, 06:50:16 AM
I feel cadence is the most important part of the calling process but I tend to feel that the backend of the yelp is the trigger point. I tend to listen to the hens and I try to focus on the one particular hen that the gobblers respond to the best. I try to mimic her rythem and sequences. I will also pick a particular call that sounds as close to her voice as possible. A very long time ago I was set up on a ridge and had several hens around me. There were 2 birds gobbling off the end of it maybe 125 yards are so. The hens were very vocal. The birds gobbled decent but everytime this one hen made a sound , the 2 gobblers would jump on it. She had a gravely yelp that sounded like a box call. I pulled out a box that sounded very close to her and had my foot on ones head in a half hour. I have had excellent results with this method over the last 30 years or so. I could give several examples of this that I have experienced. We all know nothing is a sure thing in this sport , but that is a little nugget I tend to use when I am amongst a wad of hens.
That's great information

Ctrize

We all know what works for us individually. Spitting and drumming has hit on some great points. I tend to listen to the front end of a yelp and duplicate that. Does it squeak is it flat is soft soft or urgent. The number of times I have called to a close tom and had a real hen yelp and that Tom hammer her yelp before it is done points me in that direction.

GobbleNut

Lots of good comments made here.  I agree with most all of them.  What those comments indicate, however, is that the number of variables in calling to a gobbler or group of turkeys is practically endless. 

Really, with the calling instruments and instructional sources available today, there is absolutely no reason why someone who has a genuine interest in learning to turkey hunt should the enter the woods without some level of proficiency in turkey "language" and how to imitate it.

In the end, the game is invariably about figuring our what each individual gobbler wants to hear from you.  Sometimes that is in the sound of the call,...and sometimes it is the "language" used in the calling.  The wise (and generally the most successful) hunters are prepared to run through as many of those variables,...and in the proper sequence,...as they can.

Regardless, though, even the wise and prepared hunter gets it wrong too often,...and sometimes the turkeys just don't want to cooperate no matter what.   :newmascot:

wvboy

You never know what will work.

I carry a few Diaphrams, one pot call, one box, and one wingbone.  I run each with a little different cadence I"m sure.

I think one of the most deadly calls I have found over the last 10 years is a Jake Yelp.. it's my go to when they are hung up and it has brought quite a few into range.
RB .. Take me Home Country Roads

Spitten and drummen

Now that a bunch of old folks answered , maybe the young folks can give us the right answer and wisdom. :emoticon-animal-005: :funnyturkey:
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE