OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

OLd Guy Stuff( warning to all snowflake, this may shock you)

Started by zelmo1, May 22, 2019, 07:45:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: eggshell on May 27, 2019, 10:26:29 AM
I think I've made it through all the stages and now I'm just turning into a old fool ( sarcasm font on) that may have to turn to shooting chickens, because everyone knows an old fool can't kill gobblers.

Great job Zelmo, I agree it's just as much fun to help others and be the spectator, but I don't sort many out anymore by size or age. What I do want is a good hunt with a gobbling bird that works to the call and the tougher the better.

My best hunt of the year was after I tagged out and my buddy was struggling and I took him to the ridge point on the family farm where a bird I called "The Old Bastard" stayed. We caught him active, but with at least 4 hens, 2 jakes and a subordinate gobbler running in the group. I sat my buddy down and told him don't move even if I do. It took two hours of coercing, but I finally turned the group up hill. In that I used three different call types and every bit of turkey language I knew, but he finally came strutting over the bench lip 25 yards from my buddy. Boom, and I jump up and fist pumped and said, "take that  you old bastard". As I walk down I don't hear any flopping and my buddy is standing there looking sad. I asked where's the bird and he turns and snorts, "I missed". So he still lives and is still the old bastard on the point, but it was a great hunt. I know I beat him and there will be another day. It was great.

Hahaha thats awesome. He will be there next year to make you pull your hair out. Just dont let one of them 20 something year olds hunt him. He will be gone. :newmascot:
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

zelmo1

tha bugman

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on May 27, 2019, 10:05:20 AM
Quote from: tha bugman on May 24, 2019, 10:16:11 AM
In The Old Pro Turkey Hunter, the author says when you can do what you described you have attained the title of an "Old Pro".  Congrats on a great hunt

One of the best books out about turkey hunting. I agree with the part about the different stages hunters go through in their life.
He actually re addresses the stages in his second book....but it is specifically talking about himself and his success rate as his years went by.

zelmo1

Last bird I tagged was a small tom with a good beard, 10 1/4" after I shot a lot of it off, lol. It ended up pretty skinny. I saw a big tom and 2 jakes in a perfect spot for a hunt and the stars aligned and they fought through the squawking hens to come right to me. The 2 jakes split off and came through the woods but the tom came down the tote road, perfect. Out pops j1 then j2 and they work by me at 10 feet. Here comes the to, I see him gobble at 30 yards around the corner, that long beard just swingin. I have a perfect 20 yard shot and he stops right where I need him to. I little grin and I squeeze the trigger. A millisecond before the trigger breaks I hear a thunderous gobble just behind the bird I am on. BOOM!, he is down. I step onto the tote road, tagless and see gramps looking me in the face at 22 yards. Biggest bird I have had that close in 19 years. Mad, no. Disappointed, maybe. But the bird I shot " acted right ". So it was a good day. Now I have a target for next year. All good days guys, Al Baker

fallhnt

Old guy checking in. When I take time away from my family,I'm going to do everything I can to kill a bird.
And I got to say,there's a whole lot of butt hurt old guys on here after that young gun thread.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

zelmo1

Quote from: fallhnt on May 29, 2019, 06:34:33 AM
Old guy checking in. When I take time away from my family,I'm going to do everything I can to kill a bird.
And I got to say,there's a whole lot of butt hurt old guys on here after that young gun thread.

They are all invited to hunt with me. My bum knee and poor hearing and vision included. I like getting different takes on things. But make no mistake, us old bulls know how to get it done. I see a lot more focus and effort from us geriatrics than the "young guns" , I laugh every time I hear that. Just think boys, when us old timers were the " young guns " we didn't have the need to tell everyone, we just knew.  :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an

eggshell

Being totally honest; yes there is some butt hurt among us "old timers" on the forum. Some of it may be just hurt feelings and pride, but I have found that the ire of people is most strongly aroused when false accusations come up. People expect justice and fair play in life generally. We have the privilege of first hand knowledge and testimony of how the whole turkey hunting community got to here. Much of the butt hurt comes from the ignorance and arrogance of the accuser, it's a symptom of unearned wealth. Many of us hunted when opportunities to kill a gobbler was harder to come by. We did not hunt in a target rich environment. We were also the ones who funded the efforts to repopulate and protect the resource. We built the company and stuffed the bank account and it seems unjust to watch the kids brag and frivolously gloat over their wealth and then disparage those who handed it to them. Some may go as far as say they are spoiled brats. Not all are like that but some are. Make no mistake when there are more turkeys they are easier to kill.

Do we become less successful as we age? That is a matter that is controlled not by ones hunting skills, but physical health. For some of us it is true we just can't hunt in a way that is the most productive and some birds get a pass because of it, but make no mistake it is not skill that is lacking. Young man you should respect the elder who built the house you now live in! As a young man I was brash and cocky too, but I was also willing to glean knowledge from those who had already learned what I did not know. I would also suggest that we let the young guns have their day of gloating, the sun comes up everyday and enough of those sun rises will bring them to the same day they now infer upon us and they will be the compromised. So smile and know what you know and just chuckle inside knowing that their day is coming.

GobbleNut

I guess I missed the "young guns" thread that seems to have gotten some of us "elder statesmen" riled up a might.  ...Not sure what the fuss is about....???
....Must be the brain cells dying off....   ;D :toothy12:

NCL

As I have gotten older I have come to realize how much I do not know

zelmo1

As I have aged, not gracefully, I enjoy each moment and memory much more. The yungins need their space to grow as we did. But I sure do enjoy a chance to kick one of the young whippersnappers when they so eagerly deserve it. Just the "Old Bull" in me coming out. I was on the other side of this 30 years ago and took my physical mental and emotional abuse and grew a better man for it. I am just glad to be able to enjoy my life now. Thus ends the sermon  :jesus-cross: :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an

Spurs

I didn't even know that "passing" a turkey was a thing until this year...learning the ropes in AR doesn't present the target rich environment as many other places though, so taking every opportunity is just part of it down there.

Quote from: eggshell on May 29, 2019, 07:57:02 AM
Being totally honest; yes there is some butt hurt among us "old timers" on the forum. Some of it may be just hurt feelings and pride, but I have found that the ire of people is most strongly aroused when false accusations come up. People expect justice and fair play in life generally. We have the privilege of first hand knowledge and testimony of how the whole turkey hunting community got to here. Much of the butt hurt comes from the ignorance and arrogance of the accuser, it's a symptom of unearned wealth. Many of us hunted when opportunities to kill a gobbler was harder to come by. We did not hunt in a target rich environment. We were also the ones who funded the efforts to repopulate and protect the resource. We built the company and stuffed the bank account and it seems unjust to watch the kids brag and frivolously gloat over their wealth and then disparage those who handed it to them. Some may go as far as say they are spoiled brats. Not all are like that but some are. Make no mistake when there are more turkeys they are easier to kill.

Do we become less successful as we age? That is a matter that is controlled not by ones hunting skills, but physical health. For some of us it is true we just can't hunt in a way that is the most productive and some birds get a pass because of it, but make no mistake it is not skill that is lacking. Young man you should respect the elder who built the house you now live in! As a young man I was brash and cocky too, but I was also willing to glean knowledge from those who had already learned what I did not know. I would also suggest that we let the young guns have their day of gloating, the sun comes up everyday and enough of those sun rises will bring them to the same day they now infer upon us and they will be the compromised. So smile and know what you know and just chuckle inside knowing that their day is coming.
Those are the points I was attempting to make in the "Old Timer" thread that was sadly deleted.  An old mans brain in a young mans body would wipe out a turkey population in a single season...but age ultimately leads to lacking qualities.  The same goes for youth too.  Although the body is sound, the mind is often clouded with style, greed, and the need for unneeded crutches (gimmicks).

I'm extremely fortunate that I was raised when turkey were just really coming up.  My dad was one of the "self taught originals" in SE Arkansas.  We didn't have it easy by any stretch.  Problem now is hunting is somewhat of a fad.  Hero pictures and bragging is sadly taking place of respect for the game.

Sorry to the OP for going off topic. :happy0167:
This year is going to suck!!!

mudhen

Never passed on a full fan tom with a tag in my pocket...can't see it happening anytime soon...

40+ years hunting...just getting warmed up...

12 or so states...

More states will be added as $$$ become available...

New Zealand with it's no limit booming Rio population is a very real bucket list possibility...already working on it...might take multiple trips there...

The whole old vs. new is a non-issue for me...

Father Time is undefeated...we will all end up in the same place eventually...
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka