OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: OLd Guy Stuff( warning to all snowflake, this may shock you)  (Read 4228 times)

Offline Swenny

Re: OLd Guy Stuff( warning to all snowflake, this may shock you)
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2019, 10:04:13 AM »
Sounds like a perfect trip to me! 

There's a subtle but significant difference between being out on a hunt and being out to kill. It's hard to define, but we all know what it is.

You, sir, are a hunter of the highest caliber. Definitely a higher caliber then myself!

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Online zelmo1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • Take a Newbie Hunting
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2019, 11:30:37 AM »

How do you know it was just a two year old?  See his spurs?

My only criteria is they are not a Jake!

I get your question. It just wasn't the bird I am after. I have no need to shoot another bird unless it is an upgrade over my best bird so far this season. Al Baker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2019, 11:52:49 AM »
Zelmo, GREAT HUNT and an even better NON KILL.  I love the PATIENCE you exhibited.  As I age, I find I can just enjoy the HUNT and God's Blessings, without pulling a trigger.  Just because I have a tag, doesn't mean that tag has to or will be filled.  It's ALL about the hunting experience.  GOOD FOR YOU!!!!

Offline Turkeyman

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2019, 12:31:42 PM »
World of difference between having one get away and letting one get away. Great hunt.

Online zelmo1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • Take a Newbie Hunting
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2019, 12:56:26 PM »
I enjoy every year more than the last. Most of my time is behind the call and as a bystander. This limits my trigger time and makes my tags much more valuable than the picture and meat, which I really love. My enjoyment level and adrenaline rush is much higher as a witness and I feel a greater sense of enjoyment seeing the smiles on my friends and loved ones faces. That being said, if one of the "Dinosaur Club" boys comes in, I will gladly pull the trigger. It's all in the eye of the beholder. I had a perfect afternoon and didn't shoot the wrong bird, I am still smiling. Next up is the wife's first tom. Then I would really like to get a bird for my mentorees. They are struggling a bit and want to keep them interested.  Then I will relax and stalk those ancient birds on "my list". I have until June 1st, Good luck to all. Al Baker

Offline stinkpickle

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • "Milk was a bad choice!"
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2019, 03:30:36 PM »

How do you know it was just a two year old?  See his spurs?

My only criteria is they are not a Jake!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ask to see their ID. 

Side note:  They usually get away when I do that.

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2019, 03:50:49 PM »
Congrats on a great hunting memory!

MK M GOBL

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2019, 04:07:16 PM »
Awesome!! Over the last several years I have let a few walk.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Online zelmo1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • Take a Newbie Hunting
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2019, 06:34:25 PM »
No way I can top this. My best friend killing his first bird. My girls with our triple and the call I made for him with his first grandchild in it . I am a lucky man  :funnyturkey:

Offline NCL

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2019, 07:19:50 PM »
Great story, super hunt, memories that are priceless.

Offline tha bugman

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2019, 10:16:11 AM »
In The Old Pro Turkey Hunter, the author says when you can do what you described you have attained the title of an "Old Pro".  Congrats on a great hunt

Offline ShootingABN!

• Longbeard
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2019, 10:02:13 AM »
Old Pro Turkey Hunter.

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2019, 10:05:20 AM »
In The Old Pro Turkey Hunter, the author says when you can do what you described you have attained the title of an "Old Pro".  Congrats on a great hunt

One of the best books out about turkey hunting. I agree with the part about the different stages hunters go through in their life.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Offline tal

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2019, 10:15:52 AM »
 Gene Nunnery was the first book I ever read on turkey hunting. The 'stages' of life... diapers, shorts, long pants, shorts, diapers.

Offline eggshell

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2019, 10:26:29 AM »
I think I've made it through all the stages and now I'm just turning into a old fool ( sarcasm font on) that may have to turn to shooting chickens, because everyone knows an old fool can't kill gobblers.

Great job Zelmo, I agree it's just as much fun to help others and be the spectator, but I don't sort many out anymore by size or age. What I do want is a good hunt with a gobbling bird that works to the call and the tougher the better.

My best hunt of the year was after I tagged out and my buddy was struggling and I took him to the ridge point on the family farm where a bird I called "The Old Bastard" stayed. We caught him active, but with at least 4 hens, 2 jakes and a subordinate gobbler running in the group. I sat my buddy down and told him don't move even if I do. It took two hours of coercing, but I finally turned the group up hill. In that I used three different call types and every bit of turkey language I knew, but he finally came strutting over the bench lip 25 yards from my buddy. Boom, and I jump up and fist pumped and said, "take that  you old bastard". As I walk down I don't hear any flopping and my buddy is standing there looking sad. I asked where's the bird and he turns and snorts, "I missed". So he still lives and is still the old bastard on the point, but it was a great hunt. I know I beat him and there will be another day. It was great.