OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

New Behavior( For Me to See)

Started by zelmo1, May 28, 2019, 11:29:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zelmo1

I shot a tom on Saturday and saw some odd behavior before I got my opportunity. I saw a huge tom and 2 jakes feeding across a small field around 1430. They were doing everything I needed them to do so I got in place and started calling. Immediate response from all gobblers. They were quite vocal, gobbling regularly as excited birds do. Then they broke and came fast, the 2 jakes coming through the woods and the 2, yup I didn't see subordinate gobbler, gobblers down the tote road. Here is the funny part, the jakes gobbled all the way in but when they hit the tote road and started coming my way, they stopped. They then proceeded to cluck and yelp like a hen, I never saw that before then. Their demeanor changed and the never gobbled again. Only thing I can figure is that they had gotten a butt whoopin previously from dad or gramps and clammed up. But never saw them " hen up" ever. Anyone else ever see this?

HookedonHooks

If they were yelping like hens, I'm would say you found some pre-pubescent Jakes. Lol.

Jakes yelp very often when they're excited, it's usually just one or two yelps with some clucks in there too. It's typically much lower and barkier than any hen yelping though. Just yesterday I watched three Jakes chase each other in circles for over an hour just barking away at each other.

chcltlabz

When turkey populations are strong, I find it more rare to have a jake gobbling.  In the best years, I've had gangs of what I was sure were jakes turn out to be longbeards I'd guess were 2 year olds.  Unfortunately, that hasn't been the case around here in a few seasons.  I had a jake get in between me and a gobbler this year while I was trying to move in to set up.  He was trying to teach himself to gobble is the best way I can describe it.  He'd yelp two or three notes then let out this half gobble, half purr.  Very strange sound.
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

zelmo1

The Northeast is relatively new to turkey hunting. NY and Pa. have been great for many years and that was as far as it went. Now northern New England is coming alive with birds. My experience is mostly by mistakes I have made and the few true turkey hunters I have hunted with in the past. I am improving like we are as a region. New experiences are always welcomed and the info goes in the memory banks. I am glad that I can pass it on to my wife and kids.

Spring Creek Calls

In Tennessee I had a mature gobbler come in behind me on my bad side strutting and thrumming. When he'd raise his head he would give the softest clucks I've ever heard. Couldn't get the gun on him but gave me quite a show. After a couple of minutes of not seeing the hen he walked off.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com