Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Success Rate Once You Get Him Gobbling?

Started by BDeal, May 22, 2019, 12:24:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerhunt1988

Knew this thread would be good for a laugh as soon as I saw the title.

BDeal

Quote from: warrent423 on May 24, 2019, 04:41:03 PM
Someone who tells me they have a 90% success rate on public land triggers that warning sign for me again. Definitely not someone to be taken seriously. Killing "pets" vs. killing heavily pounded Gobblers consistantly is like comparing apples to oranges.

Absolutely!! Couldn't agree more.

BDeal

Quote from: deerhunt1988 on May 24, 2019, 10:03:45 PM

Why would you say that? I think it's a good question. Some didn't answer the actual question asked though.

Bay1985

Quote from: BDeal on May 28, 2019, 01:31:31 PM
Quote from: deerhunt1988 on May 24, 2019, 10:03:45 PM

Why would you say that? I think it's a good question. Some didn't answer the actual question asked though.
Because anytime you start asking questions about which call or hunting tactic is best or start talking about success rates it gonna start a conflict, which is usually funny. It's just the way it is there's some people that will sit over bait or crop fields in a tent with a flock of decoys and believe in there mind that it's the exact same thing as hunting pressured public land Gobblers. And it's funny how they attempt to justify what they call hunting. This one has some crazy math used for percentages. I didn't add my percentage to the thread so... I killed a Gobbler on opening day this year in La so I have a 100% success rate right? I did have two tags but we won't count that or how long it took to kill the second one . No ima stick with one day one Gobbler and call that my percentage ,lifetime from now on nomatter how long it takes to kill another one lol

Happy

I don't know about crazy math but since the question was the percentage of gobblers killed vs gobblers worked. I or others with me attempted to set up and kill 7 gobblers this year. 4 are dead and 1 was missed. That means 5 out of the 7 were worked into shotgun range. Both public ground and hunting clubs. All of which is hunted pretty hard. Now that sounds great and awesome but what isn't seen is that I hunted about 12 times total so I am below a 50% average on getting a Tom in range per hunt.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Bay1985

5 out of 7 ain't bad...I mean it ain't  no 90% or like my 100% but still pretty good

Happy

Quote from: Bay1985 on May 28, 2019, 06:41:34 PM
5 out of 7 ain't bad...I mean it ain't  no 90% or like my 100% but still pretty good
I know. If I was a bit younger and still had my killer instinct I would have gotten all 7 into gun range.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

LaLongbeard

Quote from: Happy on May 28, 2019, 08:21:24 PM
Quote from: Bay1985 on May 28, 2019, 06:41:34 PM
I know. If I was a bit younger and still had my killer instinct I would have gotten all 7 into gun range.
Yea I read awhile back there was this turkey super hero that was killing 3-1 against the over 40 crowd lol.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

zelmo1

19 days hunted, 102 hours actual hunting. 11 real opportunities, 9 birds killed. No misses, only shots 35 yards or less. 3 birds out of a blind on private land, we had the only access that day. I would say 1/3 or maybe a little bit better for us. Maybe as high as 1/2. If you don't count the 3 on private, then 1/3 ish.i think it was a good year action wise. Weather was not good and it was wet. Birds got hotter as the season went on. Lots of early pressure but subsided considerably. Pure info for your consideration

Marc

I must be misunderstanding the question...

My interpretation from the OP what percentage of times that a bird that gobbles back to your calling enthusiastically that he gets killed.

Opening morning I took my daughter and a buddy's child (who has never been hunting)...  We bungled two different birds, and killed a third (moving to different spots).  I call that a 33% success rate, as 1/3 of the birds that responded to my calling (enthusiastically) were killed, at the time of that particular hunt...

If I got a bird to gobble on morning one, and he did not come in, and I killed him on morning #2, that would be a 50% success rate....
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

MK M GOBL

So what happens if I kill a gobbler that comes in silent? Guess he don't account for anything...or would that be bonus points. Hmmm seems to me a lot of "Public Land" birds do very little gobbling so how would I know which ones count and which ones don't, are there a certain number of gobbles he must make before I can count him. Now if I kill one of my "Private Land Pets" who only gobbled once from the roost, wait I was in a blind, on a field edge and used a decoy...LOL

I still have to laugh, guess my math didn't add up, Yes I did wrong I posted my actual % of success of killed birds. Not the OP's % question... whoops
:popcorn:

dang I have the wrong name :TooFunny:

MK M GOBL

GobbleNut

It could be a result of what's left of my imagination, but it seems these kinds of questions always turn into a "my percentages are higher so I must be a better turkey hunter than you" type debate.  News Flash!: the original question was simply a question of curiosity, as well as a topic of conversation!  Don't nobody need to get their snood in a knot over it!

Another News Flash!:  We all hunt under different circumstances and conditions.  The only thing that would make any of this relevant to our "turkey hunting skills" is if all of us were hunting in the same place,...at the same time,...under the exact same conditions.  Even then, it is up to the gobbler to decide if he wants to play or not.  Other than that, it is just a topic of discussion for curiosity's sake.

To all the Francis's our there,....Lighten UP!!   ;D ;D ;D :newmascot: :newmascot: :newmascot: :newmascot: ;D ;D ;D

MK M GOBL

Quote from: GobbleNut on May 30, 2019, 08:11:59 AM
It could be a result of what's left of my imagination, but it seems these kinds of questions always turn into a "my percentages are higher so I must be a better turkey hunter than you" type debate.  News Flash!: the original question was simply a question of curiosity, as well as a topic of conversation!  Don't nobody need to get their snood in a knot over it!

Another News Flash!:  We all hunt under different circumstances and conditions.  The only thing that would make any of this relevant to our "turkey hunting skills" is if all of us were hunting in the same place,...at the same time,...under the exact same conditions.  Even then, it is up to the gobbler to decide if he wants to play or not.  Other than that, it is just a topic of discussion for curiosity's sake.

To all the Francis's our there,....Lighten UP!!   ;D ;D ;D :newmascot: :newmascot: :newmascot: :newmascot: ;D ;D ;D

:icon_thumright: Agreed, I could really care less than what someone else thinks, been around long enough and learned enough to have gotten past that "I'm better than you phase" of my life, my last post was in satire of where this conversation went, I now know better than to respond to some of these posts. I'll just keep doing what I do :)

Can't wait for next year, hitting the 30th year for my spring turkey hunts!

MK M GOBL

Bay1985

For people that don't care about percentages or what others think they sure spend a lot of time posting "pet" Turkey pictures and Percentage numbers skewed to redicoulous %. As far as public land Gobblers they gobble enough to kill them. I think it was made abundantly clear that a lot of Gobblers probably never make a sound when they walk out in the crop field and see 14 decoys there's no need to gobble. That's the  true % I'd like to see how many of these ol tough Gobblers in the pics never gobbled just walked up to the decoy spread and got shot without making a call.
You could not be more right about everyone hunting different circumstances  and conditions. You should also realize posting 90% success rates anyway you want to word it seems redicoulous.

BDeal

Quote from: MK M GOBL on May 30, 2019, 12:47:24 AM
So what happens if I kill a gobbler that comes in silent? Guess he don't account for anything...or would that be bonus points. Hmmm seems to me a lot of "Public Land" birds do very little gobbling so how would I know which ones count and which ones don't, are there a certain number of gobbles he must make before I can count him. Now if I kill one of my "Private Land Pets" who only gobbled once from the roost, wait I was in a blind, on a field edge and used a decoy...LOL

I still have to laugh, guess my math didn't add up, Yes I did wrong I posted my actual % of success of killed birds. Not the OP's % question... whoops
:popcorn:

dang I have the wrong name :TooFunny:

MK M GOBL

It wasn't a complicated question.