OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
DC Cattle Ranch

Author Topic: Success Rate Once You Get Him Gobbling?  (Read 2197 times)

Offline Bay1985

• Louisiana
Re: Success Rate Once You Get Him Gobbling?
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2019, 10:20:03 AM »
For people that don’t care about percentages or what others think they sure spend a lot of time posting “pet” Turkey pictures and Percentage numbers skewed to redicoulous %. As far as public land Gobblers they gobble enough to kill them. I think it was made abundantly clear that a lot of Gobblers probably never make a sound when they walk out in the crop field and see 14 decoys there’s no need to gobble. That’s the  true % I’d like to see how many of these ol tough Gobblers in the pics never gobbled just walked up to the decoy spread and got shot without making a call.
You could not be more right about everyone hunting different circumstances  and conditions. You should also realize posting 90% success rates anyway you want to word it seems redicoulous.

Offline BDeal

« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2019, 10:25:22 AM »
So what happens if I kill a gobbler that comes in silent? Guess he don't account for anything...or would that be bonus points. Hmmm seems to me a lot of "Public Land" birds do very little gobbling so how would I know which ones count and which ones don't, are there a certain number of gobbles he must make before I can count him. Now if I kill one of my "Private Land Pets" who only gobbled once from the roost, wait I was in a blind, on a field edge and used a decoy...LOL

I still have to laugh, guess my math didn't add up, Yes I did wrong I posted my actual % of success of killed birds. Not the OP's % question... whoops
:popcorn:

dang I have the wrong name :TooFunny:

MK M GOBL

It wasn't a complicated question.

Offline owlhoot

• 2019 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2019, 03:16:01 PM »
Do we get any extra credit for killing gobbler on places we never set foot on before?
And more extra credit for public land we never set foot on before?
What if we never got started until a week into the season?
And being over 55 years old?
No decoys or blind?
What about not having more than two calls?
Can we get over 100% if when the gobbler came in he had a buddy of two with him?

Online guesswho

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Gobbler Goober
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2019, 03:51:42 PM »
I'm blaming my low percentage rate on the fact that I have exceptional hearing, or creative hearing.  I hear gobblers about 91% of the times that I call.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you

Offline BDeal

« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2019, 04:05:43 PM »
The original question was around the number of gobblers brought into kill range vs the number of gobblers in engaged calling. I asked because I feel like my percentages should be higher and to get a rough idea of how others are doing. I hunt pressured birds and I have no choice. If people don't like the question or it's too difficult for them to understand, then there is no need to post an answer here.

Online Happy

• 2018 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2019, 05:15:08 PM »
I think there was nothing wrong with your question and am surprised by the some of the responses and lack of responses. (If that makes sense. I dont see it as a means of bragging to share some info. As gobblenut posted there is no cut and dried apples to apples comparision of one hunters skill vs another's and that is not what this sport is about anyways. Every serious Turkey hunter I know could care less how he stacks up against another hunter. He wants to see how he stacks up against a gobbler. That being said I feel that anytime a Tom is consistently responding to calls and is on accessible ground he is killable. Doesn't mean its gonna be easy or that it is going to happen but the opportunity is there. It's just a matter of using the right strategy to make it happen. For me that's calling and positioning and sometimes I get it right and sometimes I get it very wrong. I have always said that finding a workable Tom is half the game and killing him is the other half. Good luck and dont be scared to experiment a little and find out what works and doesn't work for you. That's the best way to learn anyhow.

Offline BDeal

« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2019, 10:16:15 AM »
I think there was nothing wrong with your question and am surprised by the some of the responses and lack of responses. (If that makes sense. I dont see it as a means of bragging to share some info. As gobblenut posted there is no cut and dried apples to apples comparision of one hunters skill vs another's and that is not what this sport is about anyways. Every serious Turkey hunter I know could care less how he stacks up against another hunter. He wants to see how he stacks up against a gobbler. That being said I feel that anytime a Tom is consistently responding to calls and is on accessible ground he is killable. Doesn't mean its gonna be easy or that it is going to happen but the opportunity is there. It's just a matter of using the right strategy to make it happen. For me that's calling and positioning and sometimes I get it right and sometimes I get it very wrong. I have always said that finding a workable Tom is half the game and killing him is the other half. Good luck and dont be scared to experiment a little and find out what works and doesn't work for you. That's the best way to learn anyhow.

Good Stuff. Thank You!