OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Best book on fall turkey hunting  (Read 3286 times)

Offline DMTJAGER

Best book on fall turkey hunting
« on: May 21, 2019, 09:19:26 PM »
Does anyone know of and can recommend a great book on how to hunt fall turkeys, more specifically Tom turkeys?
Have some great fall public land turkey hunting near me and would like to give it a try as few people do and I will have very little competition and the birds see little pressure.

I know little about fall turkey hunting besides keying on food sources and hunting near roosts, but are very adept at sneak and peak spot and stalk turkey hunting as that is how I spend most my time hunting them in the spring.

I am reasonably sure Toms are much less prone to come to a call, gobble little and I will most likely have to try to ambush any toms I do see but just so i know what calls for toms work in the fall? I can make tom yelps quite well and suspect they might be the call of choice in the fall but then again I just don't know.

Offline paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
Re: Best book on fall turkey hunting
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 11:53:14 PM »
Getting harder to find all the time, but few years back Denny Gulvas did a DVD on hunting fall turkeys. It was an excellent production covering the how-to hunt the fall season.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline DMTJAGER

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 01:04:07 AM »
Thanks will try to find it post haste.

Offline DMTJAGER

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 01:29:14 AM »
No luck. Multiple Goggle searchs turned up Bupkis. One of his DVD's on pressured spring gobbles but nothing on on fall. Midwest Turkey had them once but no longer.

Offline paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 01:49:52 PM »
Call Denny, he's on face book. He talks turkey on the phone all the time. He may have a few DVDs around the house yet.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Online Rapscallion Vermilion

• Longbeard
Best book on fall turkey hunting
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2019, 02:17:35 PM »
Getting harder to find all the time, but few years back Denny Gulvas did a DVD on hunting fall turkeys. It was an excellent production covering the how-to hunt the fall season.
Great suggestion.
I agree, that’s a very good DVD. 
Larry Proffitt talks quite a bit about fall hunting and gobbler bonks in his new book Letters to my Grandsons.  Steve Hickoff’s book is pretty good.  Doug Camp’s book Turkey Hunting: Spring and Fall is an excellent book overall, but out of print and getting more expensive.

I haven’t seen it myself, but Ray Eye has DVD on the “ Boys of Autumn”,  How to Call and Kill Fall Turkeys.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 02:26:27 PM by Rapscallion Vermilion »

Offline crow

• Double Beard
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2019, 11:54:59 AM »
The Denny Gulvas and Ray Eye fall turkey DVDs are both very good and worth getting.

There is also a lot of info on those DVD's to also use for spring gobbler season by calling gobblers in by challenging them with gobbler calls instead of hen talk. (useful for springs like this one)

Frank Hanenkrat's book "The education of a turkey hunter" is a very good book.
Not a how to book, but there is a lot of between the lines info in it

Ray Eye has some gobbler talk on you tube
there are a couple of Marlin Watkins fall hunts on youtube

Offline callmakerman

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2019, 01:33:22 PM »
Mid west turkey supply is where I picked up my copy.

Offline nitro

• Longbeard
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2019, 06:11:29 PM »
One of the best bookson the topic is Steve Hickoff's book " Fall and Winter Turkey Hunter's Handbook"

Can be hard to find, but ut is a well written how to .. Being from PA , he knows the game.
Royal Slam 2008

Offline fallhnt

• Double Beard
  • "So easy a gun hunter can do it"
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2019, 09:14:38 PM »
Steve Hickoff,Ray Eye and Denny Gulvis  books and DVDs are what you need. Fall gobblers talk plenty. Find them and challenge them. You will enjoy Fall hunting,it's true turkey hunting and calling. I called the gun kill in off a large flock of gobblers fighting last fall. I heard gobbling ,yelping,spit n drum and saw strutting. The bow kill,my best Fall longbeard,came in and clucked in the late afternoon last Fall. He was with a super jake. They both came into my decoy setup. Usually I can double on archery birds in Fall but the super jake was gone after watching the longbeard get smacked with an arrow. Found shot in him from Spring. All my hunts take place on public land too. Fall hunting is my favorite. Nothing better.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy