turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Etching glass

Started by MarkJM, February 12, 2011, 11:11:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkJM

Hey guys, I have never etched glass before and I didnt know what I was looking for at the store. I picked up drylock etch. it looks like salt and your suppose to mix it with water. Has anyone ever used this stuff? how do you use it? I tried mixing it and it didnt work.
MuellerCustomCalls

selinoid44

It's called Armour Etch cream and you can by it on Ebay. You just apply it to the glass area you want to etch for ten minutes and wash it off. Its that simple. If the area has a spot or two missed just reapply. Its best to apply it to the glass before you install it in the call, but some do it after. Hope this helps. I just looked on ebay. 17.95 for a bottle of 10 oz.
                                                                     Charlie

'Flush Draw' Calls
Charlie Louthain
574-527-9785

flydowntn

Hobby Lobby has etching cream for 8 bucks.
S. P. Game Calls

gobblerhunter

I have been using Armour etch cream for several years and had great results.  You can purchase it at any hobby or craft store.  Hobby Lobby, Micheals, etc.  You mask off the area you don't want to etch.  Then spread the cream on the open area.  I normally let it set for about 10 to 15 minutes and then wash if off.  Don't let it set for a long time as it will soak through the tape.  On one occasion, I let it set over night and had to scrap the glass as it soaked through the tape.  I would suggest that you wear gloves when working with the cream as it is toxic.
Try it and I think you will like it.

MarkJM

MuellerCustomCalls

mranum

I'm curious, is that for putting on designs or more for conditioning a striking surface?

selinoid44

Preparing the striker surface so that it will produce sound.

'Flush Draw' Calls
Charlie Louthain
574-527-9785

doepee

How long does the etching cream surface last before you have to condition it say with a stone or some sandpaper?  Or can you rough it up a bit after you put the etching cream on?  I have a pot with the etching cream surface and it seems a little slick.

misfire

Quote from: doepee on February 20, 2011, 08:40:33 PM
How long does the etching cream surface last before you have to condition it say with a stone or some sandpaper?  Or can you rough it up a bit after you put the etching cream on?  I have a pot with the etching cream surface and it seems a little slick.

I use the cream to start the process, but still run over that with some 150grit sandpaper. The etching cream cuts the conditioning time down dramatically
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

RaspyD

Quote from: doepee on February 20, 2011, 08:40:33 PM

I use a Scotch-Brite pad or some 150/220 grit sand paper.  I don't like the deep cuts in the class from a real course sand paper.  Keeping the striker tip clean is just as important to me.
Perfection Turkey Calls