OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Reviving Glass Call?  (Read 2194 times)

Offline BDeal

• The Boss Gobbler
Reviving Glass Call?
« on: May 21, 2019, 09:34:15 AM »
Hi-

I have a glass call (made by Gene's Turkey Calls). It is one of my favorites. I normally condition this one using 150 grit sandpaper. In an attempt to try to create a little more friction, I recently tried a conditioning stone and more coarse sandpaper (100 grit). I then hunted in the rain and it got soaked and I can't seem to get it to sound right no matter what I do now. It almost looks like there is a residue on it. Is there anything I can do to bring it back to life? It's 5 years old- how long do glass calls usually last?

Thank You!

Offline Daddy rat

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Reviving Glass Call?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 09:58:57 AM »
Probably warped when it dried and glue has came loose.... if it sounds dead it’s glue issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TauntoHawk

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 10:11:37 AM »
take an alcohol wipe to the surface maybe sit the pot by a dehumidifier, if the wood got messed it might be done. I've had it happen
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Offline BDeal

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 10:33:21 AM »
I should clarify-

It didn't get that wet but the surface was definitely wet. What kind of alcohol should I use on it as someone once said not to use isopropyl?

If it is a glue issue, can it be repaired and is there any chance it is the glass itself?

Thanks Guys!!

Offline sixbird

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2019, 10:32:14 AM »
If it's a residue issue, 91% alcohol or denatured alcohol will remove it. (don't use 70% alcohol. It has oils in it).

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2019, 12:14:31 PM »
If it's a residue issue, 91% alcohol or denatured alcohol will remove it. (don't use 70% alcohol. It has oils in it).
Thanks, never knew that.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2019, 01:28:46 PM »
Thanks. I never knew that either.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Offline outdoors

• Limbhanger
  • 2015 forum supporter. “Outta’ the Woods”
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2019, 02:33:27 PM »
Thanks. I never knew that either.
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2019, 05:10:18 AM »
After I condition my glass calls I will a lot of times go over it again with a scotch brite after I use sandpaper. It helps remove the dust . I don’t know if that would help buff up your call to play or not.If nothing works and you are out a call try the Maguire headlight restoration kit it may possibly work. It helped my headlights. Unless you figured it’s glue problem

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2019, 09:25:15 AM »
After conditioning mine , i use a small makeup brush to clean them off .... i like this better than trying to clean them off with scotch brite pad ...

Offline TKE921

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2019, 11:36:32 AM »

If you go to a pharmacy, they can most likely order you some 99% isopropyl alcohol.  I get it where I work and use it to clean arrow shafts prior to fletching.  It leaves absolutely nothing behind when it dries.