OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Should I stay or get out of the Military?  (Read 1640 times)

Offline squidd

• God, Family and Country
Re: Should I stay or get out of the Military?
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2019, 09:02:38 PM »
Bbcoach gave some great advice as well as others - God’s guidance and you have multiple options.  6-Active and 22-Reserve with USN for me and now have a pension and medical to look forward to in a few years!  Like others, took about two years to figure out I no longer had to drill or put on the uniform.

Just like when you’re ready to retire, you’ll know when it’s time to get out or even change careers in civilian life.  You have 18-months to get out of the military all you can such as college credits, extra course work, transition benefits, etc.. if you do decide to leave.  Best of luck with your decision and congrats with your first child on the way; November is a great month to be born!

Online Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2019, 09:12:08 PM »
Dont have any real input. Just want to thank you all for your service. I spent 16 years away from my wife and kids for at least 4 days a week. It ain't easy and you guys sacrifice even more than that on top of risking your lives. So thank you

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline G squared 23

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2019, 11:05:18 PM »
If it’s taking a toll on your body or your psyche, you have to get out.  You only get one body, and that thing has to last you a while.  Some retirement checks and service related medical care at one of our wonderful VA hospitals is generally not worth missing your kids growing up and a variable level of physical morbidity.

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2019, 11:35:53 PM »
No good advice…  But thank you for your service!

One thing I will say, is discuss your options with your wife...  Make sure she has a say in the decision making as a family unit.

I have no military experience, but I do wonder if there is commanding officer you could talk to that might be able to discuss (or create) other career opportunities or options within the military?
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline NC pine chicken

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2019, 08:32:28 AM »
I was in for 7yrs, 11B. The only thing I would do different is let them reclass me before I got discharged. I didn’t want to be a cop and didn’t want to be middle management at a box store. I struggled for the first couple years getting out. Now I’m working for a huge construction company in Raleigh and life is good. Find something you want to do before you get out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bay1985

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2019, 10:49:32 AM »
4 years 11B got out on a medical. I had planned to do my 20 but after my injury I was going to be reclassified from Infantry to one of few options none of which I wanted. My only advice the day you ETS go see your nearest VA representative especially if you have injury’s from your service. There were a lot of benefits and programs I never knew about and the Army didn’t bother to tell me. You’ve earned it, you deserve it the VA will help you get it.