turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

2019-"Humbled is an understatement" 2020-"The year of redemption"

Started by Spurs, May 20, 2019, 02:19:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spurs

Had an outstanding season, but felt I was one day behind the entire year.  I was lucky enough to call up my son's first bird, tagged out in WV (first time hunting the state and tagged out on the 3rd morning I may add), and got one in OH (this is when it got rough).

My Ohio season really got in my feelings.  I tagged out OH last year and called up a buddy of mine a bird.  So to say my confidence was high is an understatement.  But this year brought silence.  Weather, early spring, work schedule, bad timing, and just bad decisions seemed to catch me every day the last two weeks of season.

I can admit, that I was a extremely over confident.  I had a gobbling bird every day in 2018, seemed I couldn't make a wrong decision.  Boy did it feel good to tag 6 birds in one year, tagging out in two states I had never hunted.  2019 was a humbling experience.  While I did kill 3, I feel more like luck played a heavier factor than ever in my life.  Right place, right time, if you will. 

I am predicting 2020 will be a more "fulfilling" year, no matter the number of bird I kill.

Here are my resolutions:
-"Armed Scouting"-Quick mornings for documentation purposes.  If the conditions arise, then I will oblige.  But "killing" will not be at all costs.
-Simplicity-something I find myself contending with every year.  Every year I find myself dropping gear.  Next year, I will be down to one pot, two diaphragms, and one box.  Every ounce will have a purpose.  Stealth and precision will make or break a hunt.
-Patience-A constant problem.  On 3 occasions, I found myself faced with the dilemma.  I had a bird respond 2-3 times, then my impatience would make me move forward, only to listen to the sounds of silence.  I'm not saying that I won't make moves, but there will be more purpose than reaction.
-Making time-I am hear to tell ya that work will not take as much time as it did this year.  I work on the road and am in a position where the phone will likely never stop.  I made the choice to take work over my legitimate time off, that will never happen again.  My confidence told me that I could make it happen tomorrow, but tomorrow never came.  Never again will work on an off day take precedence.
This year is going to suck!!!

Yoteduster

Harty

Humility is good for all of us. Sounds like you have a good plan in place. Best wishes for 2020

larry9988

I end every season planning to make the next one better. I write down on the last day of season, what I will do differently next season, while it's fresh on my mind, to keep me from making the same mistakes again. Hope your next season is better, but killing three birds is not a bad season.

Marc

Quote from: Spurs on May 20, 2019, 02:19:23 PM

-"Armed Scouting"-Quick mornings for documentation purposes.  If the conditions arise, then I will oblige.  But "killing" will not be at all costs.
-Simplicity-something I find myself contending with every year.  Every year I find myself dropping gear.  Next year, I will be down to one pot, two diaphragms, and one box.  Every ounce will have a purpose.  Stealth and precision will make or break a hunt.
-Patience-A constant problem.  On 3 occasions, I found myself faced with the dilemma.  I had a bird respond 2-3 times, then my impatience would make me move forward, only to listen to the sounds of silence.  I'm not saying that I won't make moves, but there will be more purpose than reaction.
-Making time-I am hear to tell ya that work will not take as much time as it did this year.  I work on the road and am in a position where the phone will likely never stop.  I made the choice to take work over my legitimate time off, that will never happen again.  My confidence told me that I could make it happen tomorrow, but tomorrow never came.  Never again will work on an off day take precedence.

(Armed scouting).  I so wish I had the time for armed scouting...  Often, If I know I have two days in a row to hunt, I will get close enough to watch roosted birds, see what they do (observing without interacting), and then hunt other birds (knowing I have an awful good chance the next morning if I do not disturb them).

(Simplicity) I lose so much crap every season, that I made a concerted effort towards organization.  I have eliminated items I do not need or use, but I have also organized those items that I do need and frequently lose (such as field binoculars and strikers for my scratch box).  If I can attach it to my vest (such as binoculars) I do.  If I cannot attach it, it has a place in a designated pocket of my vest.

(Patience) I am with you on the patience...   All to often I pick up to move on a bird (that has not answered) and he is right there (behind a rock or just around a bend).  I find when I have the time (and do not need to rush home), I hunt smarter and with more patience.

(Making time)  I have not figured out how to make time.  Young kids, and spring being busy, I am blessed that my wife works with me to allow me as much time as possible in the field...  But there is never enough.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

tha bugman

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: Spurs on May 20, 2019, 02:19:23 PMBoy did it feel good to tag 6 birds in one year, tagging out in two states I had never hunted.  2019 was a humbling experience.
That's what YOU call a humbling experience? Shooting 6 gobblers and tagging out in multiple states?  ??? If that's your version of humbled, I need to start hunting with you!! :TooFunny:

Spurs

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on May 21, 2019, 05:09:36 PM
Quote from: Spurs on May 20, 2019, 02:19:23 PMBoy did it feel good to tag 6 birds in one year, tagging out in two states I had never hunted.  2019 was a humbling experience.
That's what YOU call a humbling experience? Shooting 6 gobblers and tagging out in multiple states?  ??? If that's your version of humbled, I need to start hunting with you!! :TooFunny:
What I was saying is that 2018 was awesome...2019 wasn't what I was expecting.  I only tagged 3.  I bragged, boasted, and made predictions that I should have know better than.  I was extremely arrogant and karma bit me right in the caboose

RutnNStrutn

Spurs

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on May 21, 2019, 05:38:29 PM
Yeah, when karma gets you, it does sting!! :z-dizzy:
I did have a great 2019, but I was really hoping to tag out in OH and then hit PA again this year.  The stars didn't align.  I moved when I shoulda stayed, stayed when I should moved, had too much junk, and didn't go with my gut

RutnNStrutn

All part of the game. If it was easy, and we killed every time it wouldn't be anywhere near as much fun.