OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: turkey was in the pine tree  (Read 6664 times)

Offline Life of Riley

turkey was in the pine tree
« on: May 20, 2019, 04:41:10 AM »
Long short, was out of town hunting 300 acres and it was slow. Decided to look behind relatives house on edge of town and there at 7pm was "maybe" a giant turkey walking across field. Uncle took me down that way on Side/Side and I look in tree and there he is. We get too close and he flys down so I'm nervous but know he don't have much time to get back up before dark. I head out next morning, guessing where he went, and I hear a gobble 30min b4 sunrise. I'm 60 yards away, and he procreeds to gobble every 10 seconds for the next 20 min. I called soft twice then shutup. I sat there from 5am to 630am and its drizzly and I never see him fly down. Eventually I just give up and get up. I walk 40 yards forward, and then he finally busts out of the roost and flys away from me. I'm just not sure what else I could have done??? He might have sit up in that tree for 5 hours.

Offline Ozarks Hillbilly

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: turkey was in the pine tree
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 06:35:02 AM »
I have experienced over the year on the rainy mornings sometimes they do tend to stay on the roost longer.Also since you called to him he may have been waiting for you to come to him. I have witnessed Gobbler's stay on the limb and gobble until a hen walks basically to the base of his roost tree. He will then just hop down and off they go. Who knows what he's thinking I would just get back after him.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 01:59:05 PM »
I have experienced over the year on the rainy mornings sometimes they do tend to stay on the roost longer.Also since you called to him he may have been waiting for you to come to him. I have witnessed Gobbler's stay on the limb and gobble until a hen walks basically to the base of his roost tree. He will then just hop down and off they go. Who knows what he's thinking I would just get back after him.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Yep, that's exactly why I don't tree call at all the later part of the season particularly. Why would you tree call when the bird was only 60 yards away to begin with. Think about it.

Online Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 02:57:29 PM »
What is really interesting to watch is when you call to a gobbler and watch him fly up into a tree and eyeball your calling position for a half hour before flying off. I had one tree hop his way in this year also. Fortunately he dropped to the down and made his final approach on the ground cause I wasnt sure I would feel right about busting him out of a tree.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline silvestris

• Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2019, 06:11:58 PM »
I walk 40 yards forward, and then he finally busts out of the roost and flys away from me. I'm just not sure what else I could have done??? He might have sit up in that tree for 5 hours.

I would have sat there in silence for five hours and killed hm once he flew down.
“[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer.”  Ken Morgan, “Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Offline HookedonHooks

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • You gotta keep on keepin' on.
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2019, 06:17:06 PM »
What is really interesting to watch is when you call to a gobbler and watch him fly up into a tree and eyeball your calling position for a half hour before flying off. I had one tree hop his way in this year also. Fortunately he dropped to the down and made his final approach on the ground cause I wasnt sure I would feel right about busting him out of a tree.
If an old tom came to your call by tree hopping, I feel as there would be no shame in shooting him from the limb this way. Gobblers that smart need to die.

Offline Crghss

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2019, 07:48:31 PM »
Unless you can tell he’s in the roost when he responses to your call then not much you can do. I guess lesson learned is listen for the fly down.

If he was by himself in the roost then not sure what I would do. But if hens where with him then get between him and the hens.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

Online Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2019, 09:41:56 PM »
If an old tom came to your call by tree hopping, I feel as there would be no shame in shooting him from the limb this way. Gobblers that smart need to die.
Funny thing is he I dont think he was over 3. I dont think in his case that he was was that wary. I think he was desperate and made better time that way.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline RemingtonRules

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2019, 09:28:30 AM »
If I am 60 yards from a turkey in a tree I am waiting until he flys down before I make a move or a sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline appalachianstruttstopper

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2019, 09:52:53 AM »
If I am 60 yards from a turkey in a tree I am waiting until he flys down before I make a move or a sound.

X2 Ain't no turkey within eye shot of me every gonna hear a peep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Southerngobbler

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2019, 12:27:24 PM »
He probably stayed up in the tree because he heard you approaching in the dark. Either way you have to have way more patience than that, 6:30 is way to early to give up or make a move when your that close to the roost and haven't identified a fly down.

Offline Life of Riley

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2019, 02:03:40 PM »
He probably stayed up in the tree because he heard you approaching in the dark.

I was wondering about this also. And if this was the case then he probably wouldn't have flown down anywhere close to me. The turkeys always teach me a lesson that's for sure. Next time I'll try and sit longer and see what happens. I hadn't patterned the bird at all, so wasn't familiar with his fly down area and general movements. I'd also never walked the ground before, so had to improvise on a set-up spot, sitting on a piece of shelf-like limestone on the edge of a creek, and leaning back against the ridge behind me. Kind of an awkward position.

Offline Paulmyr

• Longbeard
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2019, 11:44:21 AM »
I once spotted a Tom through a treeline about 800 yds on other side of a field at around 10am. Set up in tree line and could only get him to come halfway across the field before he would go back to his original position. There was a drainage ditch lined with trees that would allow me to sneak close to him unseen. Just before getting to where he was I spooked 5 hens out of the trees. It was 11:30 by this time. That mourning it started raining with rumbles of thunder about an hour before sunrise and continued until about 930. The hens we're still on the roost at 11:30.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

“I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Offline Bearhunter247

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2019, 12:42:46 PM »
I had a similar instance this year. Heard a bird he pitched down in a field. He'd answer every call I made went quiet for 30 mins he kept gobbling never giving a inch. I went around to repostion myself and made a call he was where I last was hadn't called in over an hour by then. Got set up called and shut up 2 hours went by he was still where I had originally set up. We have to be done hunting by 12 so at 11 I started creeping towards him. He was in a tree close to my first set up. Got within plenty gun range of the tree but left him up for another day and never heard him again all season... another lesson in the woods.

Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk

Offline yelpy

• Double Beard
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2019, 09:16:39 PM »
I walk 40 yards forward, and then he finally busts out of the roost and flys away from me. I'm just not sure what else I could have done??? He might have sit up in that tree for 5 hours.

I would have sat there in silence for five hours and killed hm once he flew down.
This ^^^^

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk