turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Now that I have him....

Started by Sir-diealot, May 19, 2019, 02:28:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

Now that I have him how do I cure everything?

I got the beard out and know to borax it but not for how long.

I still have the legs with just the feathers removed up to the ball joint and want to remove the spurs, what is the proper method and will it wait one more day? I am pretty sore

I removed the tail but I really think I did it wrong, the area is huge but I had not clue what I was doing. I will post the pictures of that shortly.

Everything is in bags in the refrigerator by the way, just need to do it as the girlfriend does not like having a turkey leg trying to shake hands with her every time she opens the door.

Thanks.

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

mmorgan9812

I borax tail feathers and beard for a month or maybe a little longer like a month and a half. Sometimes the beard doesn't need much borax at all.

On the tail feathers I spread them out and put borax on the base and I use a good bit also.

I hope this helps

Sent from my ASUS_P00J using Tapatalk

Sir-diealot

Quote from: mmorgan9812 on May 19, 2019, 03:04:04 PM
I borax tail feathers and beard for a month or maybe a little longer like a month and a half. Sometimes the beard doesn't need much borax at all.

On the tail feathers I spread them out and put borax on the base and I use a good bit also.

I hope this helps

Yes it does, my GF is not going to be happy with me at all as I have to do this in the apartment and she does not want to see anything at all.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Sir-diealot

Oh do I need to put fresh Borax on it every day or just dump on a pile of it on them like in these pictures and then leave it? If I do have to add more every day do I scrape the old Borax away each day and then add new? How do I remove the hooks from the legs and how do I cure those? I also have both wings and I want to cure those, but I have no clue what to do there at all, do I take them off the bone? I have each complete wing broken at the joint where it connects to the body. How many boxes of Borax will I need? Thanks and sorry to be a nag.

John Koenig:

mmorgan9812

Quote from: Sir-diealot on May 19, 2019, 03:22:12 PM
Oh do I need to put fresh Borax on it every day or just dump on a pile of it on them like in these pictures and then leave it? If I do have to add more every day do I scrape the old Borax away each day and then add new? How do I remove the hooks from the legs and how do I cure those? I also have both wings and I want to cure those, but I have no clue what to do there at all, do I take them off the bone? I have each complete wing broken at the joint where it connects to the body. How many boxes of Borax will I need? Thanks and sorry to be a nag.
Put it on and leave it. About taking the hooks off and wings I have no clue. I like to eat about everything and I keep the fan and beard.

No are no bother at all! Congratulations by the way, nice bird!

Sir-diealot

Quote from: mmorgan9812 on May 19, 2019, 03:29:23 PM
Put it on and leave it. About taking the hooks off and wings I have no clue. I like to eat about everything and I keep the fan and beard.

We or I will be taking the legs and freezing them once I get the hooks off, then I will find a recipe I can have on my diet and do it in the crock pot.
I find the wing feathers to be so pretty and I have seen that Primos Wing Thing and though I do not want them for that reason I want to be able to display them on the wall kinda like that.

John Koenig:

mmorgan9812

Quote from: Sir-diealot on May 19, 2019, 03:48:48 PM

We or I will be taking the legs and freezing them once I get the hooks off, then I will find a recipe I can have on my diet and do it in the crock pot.
I find the wing feathers to be so pretty and I have seen that Primos Wing Thing and though I do not want them for that reason I want to be able to display them on the wall kinda like that.
I understand completely. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: mmorgan9812 on May 19, 2019, 03:53:39 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on May 19, 2019, 03:48:48 PM

I understand completely. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

I have had this since before my car accident in 2001 and was thinking of using this for the last however many years, now looking at it I am not sure if it is what I want though.

John Koenig:

mmorgan9812

I think it will look good. Never know till you try

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

BigSlam51

Just use a hacksaw and cut the leg on each side of the spur. Peel the skin off, use a small nail to push out the yellow bone marrow out of the hole in the bone. I use 220 grit sandpaper to clean up the bone after they've had borax on them for a while.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Sir-diealot

Quote from: mmorgan9812 on May 19, 2019, 05:35:40 PM
I think it will look good. Never know till you try

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
I guess I can always remove them if I do not like it and try something else.

John Koenig:

Sir-diealot

Quote from: BigSlam51 on May 19, 2019, 06:39:01 PM
Just use a hacksaw and cut the leg on each side of the spur. Peel the skin off, use a small nail to push out the yellow bone marrow out of the hole in the bone. I use 220 grit sandpaper to clean up the bone after they've had borax on them for a while.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I will have the ask the guy downstairs if I can use his if I buy him some new blades. I have some of those pruning shares with the long wooden handles I was going to use but I can't seem to find them anywhere.

John Koenig:

tomstopper

I would be careful using the pruning shears next to the bone that the spur is actually at. It's ok to use to remove the whole leg but as others have stated, use a hacksaw on both sides of the spur

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Sir-diealot

Quote from: tomstopper on May 22, 2019, 03:53:05 PM
I would be careful using the pruning shears next to the bone that the spur is actually at. It's ok to use to remove the whole leg but as others have stated, use a hacksaw on both sides of the spur

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

I could not find the pruning shares so they are out. I did talk with the guy downstairs and he is going to let me use his hacksaw. I offered to buy him some new blades for it as I am sure he will not want to use that one but he said not to worry about.

Thanks for the advise, I need all of it I can get.

John Koenig:

Yelper

These are cleaned up and will finish cleaning them soon, but it gives you a way to see how they get done.

Untitled attachment 00026

They will end up like these soon.

IMG_20180407_101702875