OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Billy White's ALABAMA CACKLER?  (Read 2262 times)

Offline MDTOM84

• The Boss Gobbler
Billy White's ALABAMA CACKLER?
« on: May 19, 2019, 06:51:10 AM »
Does anyone have one of Billy White's ALABAMA CACKLERS, if so how do you like it? I have been eyeing them up but I have never heard one. Thanks for the help

Offline outdoors

• Limbhanger
  • 2015 forum supporter. “Outta’ the Woods”
Re: Billy White's ALABAMA CACKLER?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 08:14:43 AM »
Good for soft calling
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

NeverRoosting

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 09:50:05 AM »
Does anyone have one of Billy White's ALABAMA CACKLERS, if so how do you like it? I have been eyeing them up but I have never heard one. Thanks for the help

The striker that normally comes with it is crap (plastic top and cedar peg) and I’ve heard Billy admit that himself.  His original striker he runs with it is an oversized western cedar (extremely lite weight).  I have a buddy that’s been running his for over 25 years, saw billy in person with his striker and copied it and it runs a whole lot better.  It takes some practice to run it really well.  My buddy is an absolute killer on it. 

It’s not that great for open country but if you are hunting big woods and not brush (like Texas) then it would be something great to master.

You can call Billy up and buy directly from him vs from him on eBay.  The one right now for $150 has the older style striker that he use to make more often back in the day that is the shape/style that runs really well on them.  The other striker that has the plastic top and cedar peg is a POS

Offline callmakerman

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 09:50:39 PM »

The striker that normally comes with it is crap (plastic top and cedar peg) and I’ve heard Billy admit that himself.  His original striker he runs with it is an oversized western cedar (extremely lite weight).  I have a buddy that’s been running his for over 25 years, saw billy in person with his striker and copied it and it runs a whole lot better.  It takes some practice to run it really well.  My buddy is an absolute killer on it. 

It’s not that great for open country but if you are hunting big woods and not brush (like Texas) then it would be something great to master.

You can call Billy up and buy directly from him vs from him on eBay.  The one right now for $150 has the older style striker that he use to make more often back in the day that is the shape/style that runs really well on them.  The other striker that has the plastic top and cedar peg is a POS
The cedar striker with plastic top I believe only comes with the plastic body call. The mahogany body call comes with a walnut striker unless it's the older style call that's listed on ebay now. Great call for softer stuff with the walnut striker. Doesn't like dymondwood LOL my go to. May have to turn a cedar to give it a go. Nice addition to my trough call collection.