OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Russell moccasins  (Read 5194 times)

Offline turkeykiller22

• Grounded Brand
Re: Russell moccasins
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2019, 02:17:25 PM »
I am looking hard at these boots. I like a taller boot due to walking through the dew in tall grass. I don't hunt very many areas that are swampy or wet but every now and then I do hunt those. Can you stand in water in ditches and not get wet?

I also prefer wearing a snake boot because they are more breathable than rubber. How well do these boots breathe?

Offline wchadw

• Longbeard
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2019, 06:37:54 PM »
I called Russell  prior to ordering the boots. For the conditions I typically encounter a Sierr@  Vibram sole, poron intersoles and no zippers were suggested. I would definitely give Russell a call and discuss your order with them.
Yea. Think this would probably be best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I called and they were very helpful. I explained what I was using now and my issues and they modified my order with additional poron insert, a different sole and waterproof zips (this was a new option they were field testing) so hopefully this will be what I need

Offline wchadw

• Longbeard
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2019, 06:48:11 PM »
Just text me. I can’t post pics here

770-548-0947
Thank you jlacey for sharing your experience. Very helpful

Offline wchadw

• Longbeard
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2019, 07:02:35 PM »
I called Russell  prior to ordering the boots. For the conditions I typically encounter a Sierr@  Vibram sole, poron intersoles and no zippers were suggested. I would definitely give Russell a call and discuss your order with them.
Thanks bobk. Calling was a great suggestion

Offline Ranger

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2019, 09:09:09 PM »
I am looking hard at these boots. I like a taller boot due to walking through the dew in tall grass. I don't hunt very many areas that are swampy or wet but every now and then I do hunt those. Can you stand in water in ditches and not get wet?

I also prefer wearing a snake boot because they are more breathable than rubber. How well do these boots breathe?

Breathe fine, but as far as wading they're not for that. They won't take in water to where your toes move it around, more like slowly seeps in through the layers and has a moist feel....not like a boot full of water at all.  If a lot of wading, go for a rubber but I still do a lot of water in the Russell's. And he should have skipped on the zippers
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

Offline rifleman

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2019, 09:18:01 PM »
Not truly Russell related.  I have worn many kinds of boots available today but never as expensive as these or moccasin like.  I have flat feet and just dealt with it but finally went to a poditrist who suggested Copper fit balance insoles.  They really have helped in my Danner snake boots and other shoes.  I have tried arch supports before but they felt like lumps in my boots.

Online Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2019, 09:09:09 PM »
How many years do you guys typically get out of a pair of Russell Turkey boots? I just got about 7 years out of my danners and unfortunately they may have 1 year left tops. Looking at the danner vitals but if I could get 15 or so years out of the Russels I may consider it. I dont mind paying a little extra for quality but I dont like paying extra for a name.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 06:35:07 AM by Happy »

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline neal

• Double Beard
  • Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff and striker builder
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2019, 04:46:04 AM »
I’m in my 6th year of my Russell turtle skin turkey hunters they’re as good as the day I got them. I treat them often put them on a dryer at night I put tons of miles on them every spring I start in March and hunt till the end of May every year. And then wear them 20+ days fall hunting. They break in a little tough but once they are I can wear them all day for days on end put 10-15 miles on a day and never have had an issue with sore feet. They’ve never leaked on me and I cross creeks often and never avoid water.

Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

Offline bobk

• In Memorial
  • Longbeard
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2019, 05:14:51 AM »
I have two pairs of Russell uplander boots that were purchased around 1980. I still have them after putting a ton of miles on them. Both pairs have been resoled by the factory.

My snakeboots are about 12 - 15 years old and are like new.

Just keep them clean, dry them at night and treated the leather and they will  last.

Offline Sasha and Abby

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2019, 04:19:55 PM »
I have a pair of the cordura snake that I bought 12 years ago...  I wear them 100+ days a year and LOVE them.  I did put a gel insert in mine.  I also am on my second pair of Russell Zephers...  another awesome boot.

Offline J. Adams

« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2019, 03:01:10 PM »
I had a pair I sold after a couple years, I tried to wear them 9000 times, I gave up on about all boots, I have owned all brands of laceups and pullons in snake and non snakeproof, I have found I am going to wear and be comfortable with aftermarket soles in lacrosse grange, my old tennis shoes when it's dry, or morrell light hikers.

Offline nitro

• Longbeard
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2019, 04:08:03 PM »
14 years on my current pair of Russell Turkey Hunter Lites.  Proper care - including 2-3 treatments per year with Obenauf's LP. ( depending on how often they are wet).  Best boot money can buy. 

I also own Zephyrs and South 40 bird shooters that have been phenomenal.  Custom made to your feet. In Wisconsin. By master bootmakers.  Not from a size X mold in some factory in China or Vietnam.

:smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an
Royal Slam 2008

Offline haystaddle

« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2019, 07:29:14 AM »
Just finished 18th season with mine. Just treat them a few times of the year and they are good to go. I also have a pair of their South 40 bird shooters I got in 1989. Finally had to re sole them a few years back. You can’t find a better boot. Well worth the initial investment.

Offline wchadw

• Longbeard
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2019, 08:25:15 PM »
Yea. Think this would probably be best

I called and they were very helpful. I explained what I was using now and my issues and they modified my order with additional poron insert, a different sole and waterproof zips (this was a new option they were field testing) so hopefully this will be what I need

Update on this. I got these a little over a week ago. They are well made and comfortable to wear. They are lighter than I expected and while still warm to wear, nothing close the the rubber snake boots I was wearing.

Offline Prohunter3509

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2019, 11:50:22 PM »
Got mine thursday
Man I think I am gonna like
Hope yours turns out like u want