OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Russell moccasins  (Read 5195 times)

Offline Prohunter3509

• The Boss Gobbler
Russell moccasins
« on: May 19, 2019, 01:52:22 AM »
I have been doing a good amount of reading,thinking about breaking down and buying a pair of snake boots . I can't find one I can walk in over a day that don't kill bottom of my feet I friend of mine said he had foot problems till he got his moccasins and it's another world to him now
What I am asking is the owners of these boots out there in turkey hunting land are they really that good .

Offline J Lacey

• Shag Hill Custom Box Calls
Re: Russell moccasins
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 05:22:27 AM »
If you can’t walk in a modern pair of boots more than a day without them killing the bottoms of your feet I’d say the Russell’s are not for you. 100 plus year old technology around and under your foot.  Mine about crippled me after the first 20 miles.  When you get them they will have zero cushion. No type of insole or padding under your foot. I felt every rock I stepped on. Had I known this I would not have purchased the boots. Sent mine back and added some cushion and better soles than what comes with em.  My best friend bought a pair and absolutely loves his. I did a lot of research and ask anyone I could find that owned a pair. The general thought is people either love em or hate em. No In between.  When I talked to Suzie at Russell about my dislike of the boots she said most people that have the boot day they wear like a slipper.  I replied you can’t turkey hunt where I live in a pair of slippers. She said yes sir your right, I guess you can not.  Beware bud.  They are good folks and make a well made boot that will last a long time.  But they will not cure hurting feet.
2020 Ohio Buckeye World Champion
2020 GNCC Amateur National Champion
2022 Ohio Buckeye World Champion
2022 GNCC Don Chancey award winner

Offline Ranger

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2019, 07:52:15 AM »
Opposite experience as J Lacey here. Just finished my 3rd season on my Russell Ultralites and couldn't be happier. I average sometimes 8-10 miles a day so 15-20 mile weekends is not uncommon....feel as good the last hour of the day as they do on the first.  And you have 3 layers of leather underfoot that will shape and mold to your foot forever, you do have cushioning.  I've had Plantar Fascitis in the past and New Balance use to be the most comfortable shoes I wore, now I have 3 pair of Russell's, 2 for daily wear and they are by far most comfortable I have ever worn.  And if they don't fit perfectly, they'll rebuild them until do.  Tips:  Get all leather if waterproof is a concern, a boot dryer is a must to dry them completely at night, Obenaufs is your friend.... And I hunt in a river swamp
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

Offline bobk

• In Memorial
  • Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2019, 07:53:00 AM »
I had my Russell snakeboots  built with vibram  soles and   poron intersoles. They work  for me in moderate terrain. In rugged terrain or if I will cover long distances  I prefer a good  quality  hiking boot with turtleskin snake chaps.

Online wchadw

• Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2019, 11:14:55 AM »
If you can’t walk in a modern pair of boots more than a day without them killing the bottoms of your feet I’d say the Russell’s are not for you. 100 plus year old technology around and under your foot.  Mine about crippled me after the first 20 miles.  When you get them they will have zero cushion. No type of insole or padding under your foot. I felt every rock I stepped on. Had I known this I would not have purchased the boots. Sent mine back and added some cushion and better soles than what comes with em.  My best friend bought a pair and absolutely loves his. I did a lot of research and ask anyone I could find that owned a pair. The general thought is people either love em or hate em. No In between.  When I talked to Suzie at Russell about my dislike of the boots she said most people that have the boot day they wear like a slipper.  I replied you can’t turkey hunt where I live in a pair of slippers. She said yes sir your right, I guess you can not.  Beware bud.  They are good folks and make a well made boot that will last a long time.  But they will not cure hurting feet.
What did the do to make them more comfortable? I just ordered some with extra poron sole and the vibram gumlite sole. I paid a lot for these hoping my feet won’t hurt. Walking a lot in rubber flat sole snake boots is hell on my feet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline J Lacey

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2019, 11:48:55 AM »
They reworked the boot adding poron and a thicker more aggressive sole.  They arrived just before season ended so they’ve seen no woods time.  Around the house they seem
much better and should serve me well.  If I had it to do over the boot I ordered would not be my choice as a turkey hunting boot. I would have ordered the boot as it was after they fixed them and added the side zippers as well.  I just didn’t know what I was getting until it arrived.  Everyone is just different and needs different things.   They are great to work with and made every effort to please me. I was just unfamiliar with the construction and got a surprise 

Online wchadw

• Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2019, 11:53:36 AM »
They reworked the boot adding poron and a thicker more aggressive sole.  They arrived just before season ended so they’ve seen no woods time.  Around the house they seem
much better and should serve me well.  If I had it to do over the boot I ordered would not be my choice as a turkey hunting boot. I would have ordered the boot as it was after they fixed them and added the side zippers as well.  I just didn’t know what I was getting until it arrived.  Everyone is just different and needs different things.   They are great to work with and made every effort to please me. I was just unfamiliar with the construction and got a surprise
I got the extra poron and side zips. Do you recall what sole the switched it to? I just sent in order so I can probably change it without any re work.

Anyone with experience with these please let me know

Offline Ranger

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2019, 12:33:12 PM »
Gumlite sole and poron slip sole should be excellent.  Plenty of traction but still shock absorbing and lightweight. I think J Lacey said what his biggest issue was....he didn't know what he really ordered. Take the time to talk to them BEFORE and really plan out what you're getting and surprise shouldn't be involved in a $550 boot purchase, Russell doesn't want that either.

A lot of guys recently buying these because of the Nomad ad will regret the zippers and not getting all leather if waterproofness is important to them. Here again, not buying for what they really need isn't smart, and now they're complaining about them not being waterproof.
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

Offline J Lacey

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2019, 12:37:09 PM »
Just text me. I can’t post pics here

770-548-0947

Online wchadw

• Longbeard
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2019, 12:39:00 PM »
Gumlite sole and poron slip sole should be excellent.  Plenty of traction but still shock absorbing and lightweight. I think J Lacey said what his biggest issue was....he didn't know what he really ordered. Take the time to talk to them BEFORE and really plan out what you're getting and surprise shouldn't be involved in a $550 boot purchase, Russell doesn't want that either.

A lot of guys recently buying these because of the Nomad ad will regret the zippers and not getting all leather if waterproofness is important to them. Here again, not buying for what they really need isn't smart, and now they're complaining about them not being waterproof.
Side zips leak bad? I assumed the turkey hunter boots were all leather? Not familiar with commercial

Offline bobk

• In Memorial
  • Longbeard
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2019, 01:28:29 PM »
I called Russell  prior to ordering the boots. For the conditions I typically encounter a Sierr@  Vibram sole, poron intersoles and no zippers were suggested. I would definitely give Russell a call and discuss your order with them.

Online wchadw

• Longbeard
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2019, 01:35:32 PM »
I called Russell  prior to ordering the boots. For the conditions I typically encounter a Sierr@  Vibram sole, poron intersoles and no zippers were suggested. I would definitely give Russell a call and discuss your order with them.
Yea. Think this would probably be best

Offline TheSportsman

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2019, 02:21:08 PM »
I have two pairs of all leather russell snake boots I need to sell. They were my Fathers, who passed, and they just dont fit.  Awesome looking made boots though.

Online Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2019, 05:49:01 PM »
Couple pair on ebay for sale ... less than half price of the new ones ....

Offline WV Ridge Reaper

• Longbeard
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2019, 08:20:00 PM »
I had a pair,I liked them but at the same time I didn’t....They was rough on the feet as far as feeling everything you stepped one.

But I noticed how much quieter I could walk with them..In the end I sold mine got a pair of lacrosse grange.I reckon I am one of the few who can wear rubber all day for distances