OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
DC Cattle Ranch

Author Topic: Why are the gobblers flocking?  (Read 172 times)

Offline Plush

Why are the gobblers flocking?
« on: May 15, 2019, 02:14:45 PM »
It is mid-May in Wisconsin and there is a group of gobblers, why would they be on top of each other at this point? Are they just roosting by each other and then breaking up when they fly down? There is at least 5 of them in close proximity and when flying down it sounds like they find each other. I first heard them in the area 2 weeks ago and they are still together. I don't think they are jakes...they don't sound like it and the tracks point to sizable birds. I haven't seen them at this point so to be fair it could be jakes...but it sure doesn't seem like it.

Is it worth it to hunt them grouped up like that or should I just chase more secluded birds?

Offline Paulmyr

Re: Why are the gobblers flocking?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 09:59:30 PM »
Definitely. Depending on where you hunt in wisc. They maybe keying on the only hens around. With 5 of them chances are decent you can pull one away from the group.

Offline Plush

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2019, 04:24:22 PM »
Definitely. Depending on where you hunt in wisc. They maybe keying on the only hens around. With 5 of them chances are decent you can pull one away from the group.

Thanks. This group tends to be my fallback option if I don't have a better plan in the morning as they never fail to gobble like nut cases in the same general area. The other day one was separated a touch and he responded on the limb, but opted to go the other direction where the rest of the group was once he flew down.

Offline Sasha and Abby

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 05:28:09 PM »
I called 7 longbeards together, in the last couple of days of the season here...  never seen that many together except during the opening week or two.