OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Teaching Kids to Shoot  (Read 1777 times)

Offline bear hunter

Re: Teaching Kids to Shoot
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2019, 10:07:58 AM »
thanks guys I appreciate the help.

Offline Spurs

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2019, 10:57:18 AM »
The way I started out was snake hunting with a .22, but being on the road so much, my kids don't really have the same opportunities that I had.

My way of getting my kids comfortable was just shooting stuff around the house...perks of living way out.  My oldest kid started out shooting pine cones, gum balls, and stumps.  Then he made his way into squirrel hunting with a .410 behind my dog.  Now he probably didn't touch a strand of fur, but if you asked him, he head shot every one of them. 

Biggest thing to me was trying to make it fun and challenging.  Every kid is different though.  My youngest boy is a little more competitive, so presenting a challenge was more important with him.  I would shoot at something and then tell him "bet you can't do that".  He will shoot till the cows come home.  But if you just set him down and say "let's practice", he will lose interest after about two trigger pulls.
This year is going to suck!!!

Offline silvestris

• Longbeard
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2019, 05:35:42 PM »
my girl is right handed but her left eye is dominant. How should she shoot?

Left shoulder and then after time, both.  She will learn to handle the gun from the left with time and practice.
“[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer.”  Ken Morgan, “Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2019, 10:44:50 PM »
I started my son out with just carrying BB gun without any BB and just let him get the feel of carrying a gun as we walked around , and he would take it on deer hunts with me ... as he got little older we tried it with BB shooting can's and those clay pigeons off boards ... that was a lot of fun , i enjoyed shooting those myself .. after that and him getting older 22 rifle single shot , doing the same can's etc... them he started shooting my 223 and from that rifles, 410, 20 ga. 12 ga , etc....