OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Coyotes do bite. (Pics included)  (Read 3612 times)

Offline Bearhunter247

Coyotes do bite. (Pics included)
« on: May 14, 2019, 10:27:00 PM »
Hey guys, I don't normally post here but read alot. I wanted to share something with you that happened this season. First off this has been the worst season iv hunted for hearing gobblers. I have 2 be at work at 8 but manage to hunt every morning I can. Last week I was headed back to the truck and heard a bird gobble about 100 yards from me straight down a logging road from me. This is a fresh clear-cut so with nowhere to hide I laid down right in the middle of the road. After calling to the bird a few times I started to hear him drumming and saw his fan coming over the hill. As I shifted the gun a HAIR to the left something slammed hard into my back and head. A coyote rolled off me and I shot him as he ran off. He put 3 small holes where he bit my head (2in the hair) and scratched my back. I'm almost done with the rabies shots but the very next morning the bird came to me on a string in the same spot 18lbs 1? Spurs 10 inch beard. So y'all be safe out there and keep your head on a swivel!

Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk

Offline 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
Re: Coyotes do bite. (Pics included)
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 10:36:14 PM »
WOW, great deal on getting the bird..

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 10:37:58 PM »
That's something you will never forget. Glad it was no worse. I take it you recovered the coyote?
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Yoteduster

• Double Beard
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 10:43:13 PM »
Boy that's a tough deal glad to hear your alright but I don't envy you on the rabies shots...congrats on the nice bird

Offline guesswho

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Gobbler Goober
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 10:47:23 PM »
Wow, that's crazy. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Offline Rzrbac

• Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 11:23:14 PM »
Cool story, I can relate to it. I wasn’t bit but he had bad intentions.

Congrats on the bird.

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 11:38:23 PM »
Wow!

I doubt he recognized you as a person...  Heard calling, saw movement and tried to eat...

I have had several times when a coyote and birds are both coming into my calling at the same time.  I try to wave off the coyotes (cause I want to kill the bird), and my hand movement caused them to rush towards me (likely thinking I was prey).  Never had one bite me though!

If you were able to kill the yote, I would have thought they would have been able to test for rabies, possibly preventing you from having to go through the shots???  Were you not able to recover the coyote?
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline 1iagobblergetter

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2019, 11:44:18 PM »
Dang that's some bad luck..
I worked with the rabies virus so I'm glad I'm vaccinated in case I ever get bit. Lol...
I would have had a hard time concentrating the next day while trying to call especially being in the same spot knowing it's still running around..

Offline dublelung

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2019, 11:48:27 PM »
Dang man that's crazy.  I'd think they could cut the coyote's head off and test for rabies.  Lol turkey hunters are known to be sick but rabid is taking it to the next level.

Offline tomstopper

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2019, 12:39:53 AM »
Dang man, glad your ok and that you killed that sucker. Congrats on the bird too.

Offline Bearhunter247

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2019, 04:41:26 AM »
I shot the coyote but never went and picked him up. I started back to the truck when I figured out my head was bleeding but didn't know how bad, so I wasn't worried about him the next day. And I'm 99.9% sure he didn't have rabies that slight movement caught his attention. As soon as he was on me he'd jumped back off and was hauling butt

Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk

Offline zelmo1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • Take a Newbie Hunting
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2019, 06:29:16 AM »
Glad to hear you are ok bro. They are getting brazen. We heard a few howling at 0900 on Sunday. Wife doesn't like em at all. I had no gun and she got shaky when they got close. She got mad when I yipped and howled at them and they responded. No breakfast for me  :OGturkeyhead:

Offline Swenny

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2019, 07:54:49 AM »
Whew, I woulda put that coyote's fur under my rocker so i could put my damn feet on it every night for years!  Glad you're ok, but to be honest I'm most glad you got the turkey!!!  :fud:

Offline renegade19

• Double Beard
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2019, 08:30:22 AM »
 :icon_thumright:

Offline joey46

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2019, 10:13:53 AM »
Fawns are dropping in our area now.  I did go out last week with a electronic call and a motion decoy.  Nothing but will try again early next week.  Full moon Sunday so maybe a 4am calling session may work.  Anybody ever shoot that Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote load?? Of course I'd have to get it mail order but not sure of the recommended choke.
After seeing this post may consider wearing a motorcycle helmet.  LOL.  Sorta.