OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Latex or Proph  (Read 4207 times)

Offline Stevenbeard1976

Latex or Proph
« on: April 11, 2019, 12:25:48 PM »
Latex or Proph? And what sizes?

Offline Zeke6685

Re: Latex or Proph
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2019, 01:12:47 AM »
I prefer latex. .0025 .003 and .004. I have proph and make a few calls with it but to me it’s a lil more finicky than latex on the stretch. A lot of calls I make are .004 over 2 reeds of .0025.

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 09:07:23 AM »
I am not at all certain, but I believe the term "proph" (short for prophylactic) just refers to the very thin latex material used in calls.  The "original" mouth call makers sought suitable material for making their calls and that just happened to be the thin latex used in condoms and for other medical purposes.  That material is now generally considered to be around .0025 in thickness, but I am sure it can vary a bit.

Personally, I rarely use reed material thicker that .003,...and it seems my best calls are a combination of .003 and proph/.0025 or simply layers of proph.  Of course, preference in call construction obviously varies with the user and their calling mechanics and abilities.   

Offline county hunter

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2019, 04:55:17 PM »
^Thank you GobbleNut, I was wondering what thickness I was using in proph

Offline HILBY72

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2019, 10:42:00 PM »
GobbleNut since you mainly make your calls out of Proph, do you buy your proph from Pioneer or elsewhere?

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2019, 09:03:57 AM »
GobbleNut since you mainly make your calls out of Proph, do you buy your proph from Pioneer or elsewhere?

Yes, I buy it from Pioneer,...just because they seem to be the most obvious source.  I am sure there are other sources (Mitchell Johnson..?) and those sources might have some different material that has some different sound quality to it.  Pioneer is a reliable source, though.