OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Youth Frame Tension  (Read 2399 times)

Offline larry9988

• The Boss Gobbler
Youth Frame Tension
« on: May 14, 2019, 09:36:37 PM »
I have been using a mouth call for 30 years. I have never been very good on one, but I can call turkeys. I have always had a problem with my calls being too raspy. I have always had to cut away a lot of the tape and bend the frames, a lot. This loss of tension really effects the sound of the calls. I bought a feather ridge jig for my son to make calls with. I saw a youth model or mini frame call at a store the other day. I bought the call and could not believe how comfortable it is in my mouth. It will actually lay flat in my mouth not cock sided. I must have a very high or narrow pallet. Now to my question: I ordered some youth size frames and tape and was wondering if when using these very small frames, do you use the same jig tension as you do with regular size mouth calls? I sure wish I would have tried a youth size before, just never guessed someone my size would need such a small call. Any
 advice from someone that makes these small calls would be very much appreciated so we will know more when the mini frames arrive.

Offline gergg

• Longbeard
Re: Youth Frame Tension
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 08:05:35 PM »
Not sure about the tension, though I would guess less is needed on a narrower frame. I do believe you need to get a youth frame holder plate for the jig, not positive, just throwing that out there.
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

Offline Lonehowl

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2019, 10:20:33 PM »
If you have the hand jig you can do it...if you have an actual press, youll need a new plate.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 02:36:19 PM by Lonehowl »

Offline larry9988

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 09:11:59 PM »
I have the hand jig. It works with youth frames. Thanks for the replies. Larry

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 09:10:19 AM »
It's all about experimentation with different call designs,...latex thicknesses, layers, reed setbacks, and cuts.  All of them affect sound production from a call.  I always preach "cut progressions" with calls anybody is making for themselves.  Learn to do that and you will be able to find that turkey in just about every call you make.