OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Sycamore Turkey Pot Call Kit I Made  (Read 3791 times)

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Sycamore Turkey Pot Call Kit I Made
« on: May 13, 2019, 03:14:21 PM »
I made this call from a kit, I had to sand all the surfaces, Polyurethane the call inside and out, glue in the soundboard ring, glue in the soundboard which is glass and then finally glue in the black slate playing surface. Oh I have to give thanks to my girlfriend, the pain brushes I bought were to big to get into the I guess you would call them sound holes and she came up with the idea of using Q-Tips which worked perfectly. Thanks babe. I will post a couple pictures of the finished pot and if anybody is interested I can post pictures that are step by step of what I had to do. I did forget to take pictures before I put Polyurethane on it though. Oh and thank you to all of ya'll that answered questions I had along the way while preparing to make and making this.

https://soundcloud.com/user-933394494/sycamore-turkey-call-pot-kit-i-made
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 04:23:13 PM by Sir-diealot »
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline TurkeyHunterML

Re: Sycamore Turkey Pot Call Kit I Made
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 04:26:56 PM »
Well done.
Mike Lenga Calls (ML Calls)

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 04:45:39 PM »
Well done.
Thank you, was fun and gained respect for those that do it full time.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Offline doublespurs21

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 07:14:44 PM »
nice looking pot call,, I do the same thing, using  q-tip to get inside the soundholes. now that you made one, what's next??

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 07:48:40 PM »
nice looking pot call,, I do the same thing, using  q-tip to get inside the soundholes. now that you made one, what's next??
I am half tempted to buy the same one and do it knowing all I did wrong and do it right this time. I did not get proper brushes I found out from my GF who used to do a lot of painting with her deceased husband as a business so I would get better ones, I would get paint thinner so I could clean brushes right, I had to use GF's nail polish remover to clean the brush. I would make sure I had 220 grit sandpaper so I could lightly sand before second coat of polyurethane or try lacquer instead. May try the spray on stuff too.

He has some other pot kits as well, the only difference is now I do not have to glue in the sound board pedestal. He has a  Cedar-Walnut-Maple one that I liked the looks of but not sure what to use with it, I know I don't want to do glass, I do not have steady hands so I smeared the soundboard full of glue so I am thinking maybe red slate or green slate or frosted glass for a striker surface. I do think if I do another pot call I am going to have to buy an electric drill and a chuck, after sanding this by hand I could barely move my left thumb and index finger for 3 days because of problems I have with it since my car accident in 88

He also has some box call stuff I would like to try my hand at.

I added pictures of it as it was being done.

John Koenig:

Offline West Augusta

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • West By God Virginia
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2019, 09:36:46 PM »
I do love quarter sawn Sycamore.  You did a good job on that one.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2019, 09:59:04 PM »
I do love quarter sawn Sycamore.  You did a good job on that one.
Thank you very much. I have a lot I could have done better with as I said above. He has these two pots I am interested in doing too but not till I can get the proper stuff to do a better job this time, this being my first one was a learning experience.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Custom-Aromatic-Cedar-Walnut-Maple-Turkey-Call-Pot-Unfinished-w-Pedestal-Ring/322495109644

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Custom-Tigerwood-Maple-Wenge-Padauk-Turkey-Call-Pot-Unfinished/323678391112

I think I will stick with a glass soundboard for now.

John Koenig:

Offline Daddy rat

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2019, 07:51:59 PM »
Looks awesome... it’s contagious building calls

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2019, 08:04:48 PM »
Looks awesome... it’s contagious building calls
Thank you very much for the compliment. I wish I were in a situation that I could get a lathe or knew somebody with a wood lathe, the apartment that I live in has very bad electric, blow fuses at least 8 or more times a year. They are getting ready to update the electric but to what extent I do not know, I am not expecting much though. I did enjoy it and now know a bit more than I did before, I would love to redo the same just to do the finish right this time. I was looking at some exotic pots he sells and he told me I can't use polyurethane on them, though I can't remember the exact reason why so I would have to buy some lacquer and learn how to use that as well. I can't use a spay as I am in and apartment.

John Koenig: