OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Did I get the right stuff? New Question  (Read 3324 times)

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Did I get the right stuff? New Question
« on: May 04, 2019, 08:05:57 PM »
Stopped at Lowes today and picked this up for sealing the pot I am putting together, did I get the right stuff?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 01:28:23 PM by Sir-diealot »
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline outdoors

• Limbhanger
  • 2015 forum supporter. “Outta’ the Woods”
Re: Did I get the right stuff?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2019, 09:40:03 PM »
Yes you did
There's a spray also  probably easier to use
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Did I get the right stuff?
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2019, 09:50:54 PM »
Yes you did
There's a spray also  probably easier to use
Okay thanks, I bought some pain brushes as well. Will be done in time to go hunting next weekend.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Did I get the right stuff? New Question
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 01:32:57 PM »
I finished putting on the polyurethane and then noticed it said to sand after 3 hrs. with 220 grit sandpaper. I do not have any 220 grit, I have 60, 80 and 120 grit. Now I can order some and have it here by Friday but will that be to late? Does it even matter if I sand it? Thanks for any help

John Koenig:

Offline gergg

• Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2019, 03:18:59 PM »
I finished putting on the polyurethane and then noticed it said to sand after 3 hrs. with 220 grit sandpaper. I do not have any 220 grit, I have 60, 80 and 120 grit. Now I can order some and have it here by Friday but will that be to late? Does it even matter if I sand it? Thanks for any help
Sanding is required for adhesion purposes on additional coats. 120 is pretty rough, will leave deep grooves that won't look good under the next coat. If you are not needing another coat then sanding is not needed. If you do need another coat and sanding is necessary, do so very lightly, clean well and apply the next coat....rinse and repeat as needed. If you are not too worried about how it looks use the 120 grit.
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2019, 03:30:18 PM »
Sanding is required for adhesion purposes on additional coats. 120 is pretty rough, will leave deep grooves that won't look good under the next coat. If you are not needing another coat then sanding is not needed. If you do need another coat and sanding is necessary, do so very lightly, clean well and apply the next coat....rinse and repeat as needed. If you are not too worried about how it looks use the 120 grit.
Okay, looks like I will not get to use on Saturday but maybe on Sunday. I will order the sandpaper on Amazon and have it delivered. Waiting to said will not be a problem though right?

John Koenig:

Online paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2019, 03:34:07 PM »
I made a few pots over the years for friends and family, only gave them one coat and no sanding. I wouldn't worry about it.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2019, 03:37:08 PM »
I made a few pots over the years for friends and family, only gave them one coat and no sanding. I wouldn't worry about it.
Okay, thanks.

John Koenig:

Offline gergg

• Longbeard
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2019, 09:20:00 PM »
Okay, looks like I will not get to use on Saturday but maybe on Sunday. I will order the sandpaper on Amazon and have it delivered. Waiting to said will not be a problem though right?
No, you can wait to sand, no worries there. You can get a few sheets of 220 from Home Depot/Lowes/etc.
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

Offline West Augusta

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • West By God Virginia
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2019, 09:38:51 PM »
I apply the same stuff with a paper towel and sand with a green scotch brite pad between coats.
Remember Tack cloth is your friend.   Keeps the dust from ruining your finish.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2019, 09:52:34 PM »
I apply the same stuff with a paper towel and sand with a green scotch brite pad between coats.
Remember Tack cloth is your friend.   Keeps the dust from ruining your finish.
Thank you for the advise, I had never heard of Tack Cloth before but I went and added it to my Amazon list for call making stuff.
Oh I have finished the call, here is a link to it. http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,91379.0/topicseen.html

John Koenig: