OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Brand New Remington 870 Super Mag Patterning Issues

Started by Escout711, April 05, 2019, 08:04:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

[/quote]I have a Remington 700 mountain rifle as my primary deer rifle
[/quote]
I went to buy one of the Mountain Rifle DM's a long time ago that was at the store and showed up and it was gone, could not fine another one with the same stock, it was a beauty to look at for sure.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Escout711

Quote from: Sir-diealot on April 15, 2019, 12:24:38 PM

I have a Remington 700 mountain rifle as my primary deer rifle
[/quote]
I went to buy one of the Mountain Rifle DM's a long time ago that was at the store and showed up and it was gone, could not fine another one with the same stock, it was a beauty to look at for sure.
[/quote]
Mine has the floor plate instead of the DM and she's a beauty. .280 Remington.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

limbhanger777

my 870 supermag had similar issues, cant remember where mine hit in perspective to looking straight down the rail and the bead. You should be able to fix that by mounting an optic or a set of adjustable sights

mr perfect

I  killed turkeys with my 870 it shot ok i put an aimpoint on well i drilled and taped it after a short time it only would shoot 6 shot federals good . i switched to an 835 and kinda left the remington alone , i will say this the newer less than 5 years old remington are having issues . i have a friend that has sent his versa max back several times it shoots 8 in to the right at 20 yds .

lowoctane

Quote from: Escout711 on April 05, 2019, 08:28:08 PM
Quote from: Tom Foolery on April 05, 2019, 08:20:31 PM
Lots of guns have POI problems.  Williams Sluggers or TruGlo pro series if you want fiber optics.  I use the Williams with ghost ring on mine. 

I shoot at a 36x36" sheet of paper, you'll see your whole pattern with it.

Thanks, I definitely want to upgrade the sights, but the bead is not threaded and it came with a magnetic Hi-Viz the mounts right behind the bead. It's not just the POI, it's the pattern as well, seemed a bit too open at 25, so I'm wondering if anyone has a choke recommendation. I've tried posting pics, but haven't had luck. First they were too big, now it won't let me load a jpeg. I'm posting from my iPad, so I'm a little little on being able to format pics.

Had the same issue using my iPhone. Use the Tapatalk app. Picture problem solved.

I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Turkeytider

Quote from: aclawrence on April 05, 2019, 10:24:58 PM
I added a red dot to my shotgun this year and I'm really enjoying it. It's a little bit of a process to get it on an 870 since they're not tapped but it's super nice when you get it set up. You have a much finer dot to aim with and you can adjust to fix you poi issues. I would also look at shooting some 6's to help with your numbers. Good luck.

Ab....so....lutely!! Optics and some 6's will cure what ails you! I know it can be done, but I know I'll personally never hunt turkeys without an optic.

chipper

I bought a SPS-T 870back around 1996 or97 that shot the same as you are describing,  I marked the underside of the barrel and sent it back to remington and when I received it back I had the same barrel . I was kinda upset cause I thought they haven't done anything to this gun but after shooting it the poi and poa were dead on and it shot a awesome pattern, they also sent a test pattern back with the gun. That shotgun has killed alot of birds since then. I don't know what they did to it but it was a different gun performance wise to the one I bought.