OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Kanasa 2020?  (Read 2833 times)

Offline Fullfan

• Longbeard
Kanasa 2020?
« on: May 12, 2019, 05:06:10 PM »
Looking to take my son to Kansas next spring, do not need or want a guide service. Looking for a place to camp and pay a fee to hunt. Wanting to get him his first Rio.  Any info would be appreciated.
Don't gobble at me...

Offline nativeks

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Kanasa 2020?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 07:45:15 PM »
Id be looking North central near the Nebraska border.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.kansas.com/news/politics-government/article224470505.html

Offline Kansan

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 08:52:39 PM »
I don’t put much stock in the article above. Turkey numbers may be slightly down in some areas, but we’ve had our best hunting (just as good as 90’s/early 2000’s) as recent as 2016 in my area. It just all depends on the hatch, which hasn’t been great in the past couple of years, but this year is looking good so far.

Even if there are a few less turkeys in places, the hunting has still been pretty darn good this year. Good numbers of turkeys across the state. WIHA can be good anywhere. It’s relatively easy to get access to private land as well. Put the miles on your truck, do your scouting, and you will be on birds.

Offline tha bugman

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 09:19:22 AM »
WIHA Northwest Kansas IMO

Offline Fullfan

• Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2019, 09:27:11 AM »
Thanks for the info guys..
Don't gobble at me...

Offline deadbuck

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2019, 01:58:37 PM »
I just returned from a few days of hunting WIHA in northwest Kansas and was not impressed! Left out of Salina before daylight and checked about 15 different WIHA's that I had researched for creeks, trees, etc. all the way to Norton. Was told by a friend who hunted near Norton last year that birds were thick and even called the landowner who put his property in the WIHA to confirm birds are there a month ago. However, when we showed up Sunday no birds to be found. Called landowner again and he said a freak snowstorm and excessive recent rains ran them off to somewhere else recently. Saw 3 birds on that entire journey that was prob 75+ miles. I would not suggest NW Kansas.

Offline deadbuck

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2019, 02:00:28 PM »
and the weather was beautiful so that wasnt the blame.

Offline Rapscallion Vermilion

• Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2019, 02:27:44 PM »
That NW area was pretty good about 5 or 6 years ago. The last time we went was three seasons ago and it was pretty sad and haven’t been back since. One comment we got from locals, which I can’t personally verify, was that it gets hit pretty hard early on.  We always went late season, but did notice that the few birds we saw from far away on big WIHA would go running for cover if we stopped the truck.

Offline Kansan

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2019, 05:01:17 PM »
I don’t know where they are now, but I saw a flock of ~300 turkeys by Norton while I was pheasant hunting last fall, so they’re around there somewhere!

Offline deadbuck

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2019, 09:52:14 PM »
A guy in a convenience store told me the same thing about a giant winter flock in that area. I guess I was naïve in not knowing you had to be there first 2 weeks of season to get action. I figure that flock has disbursed onto several pieces of private ground where they are not being harassed. Was my first time hunting WIHA. Was able to kill some jakes on trip back to east part of state on way home so it wasn't a total bust. I wont be back to that area.

Offline Britton40

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2019, 07:43:37 AM »
I hunted in KS in 2016. WIHA areas had been apparently pounded. Birds acted extremely pressured.

Offline Fullfan

• Longbeard
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2019, 08:40:58 AM »
Guys thanks for the info. Sounds like Kansas and Missouri have the same thing going on.  Will do some homework.
Don't gobble at me...

Offline tha bugman

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2019, 09:12:31 AM »
That NW area was pretty good about 5 or 6 years ago. The last time we went was three seasons ago and it was pretty sad and haven’t been back since. One comment we got from locals, which I can’t personally verify, was that it gets hit pretty hard early on.  We always went late season, but did notice that the few birds we saw from far away on big WIHA would go running for cover if we stopped the truck.
yes, we were there about the same time starting in the east and moving west.  The further west we went the more birds we saw.  We didn't go any further west than Norton and then hunted our way back.  It was late in the season and bird activity was exactly the way you said.....if you started slowing down they would run like you had shot at them!  I had fun, but the birds on WIHA were few and far between.  Private land was slam full of birds though.  We knocked on a few doors but only got permission on two spots.  We killed birds, but not the slaughter that I have always seen and heard about.

Offline deerhunt1988

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2019, 09:14:11 AM »
Yup, good ol days of Kansas are over and will never be the same thanks to forums and social media. Gotta get there much earlier now, not good late into May like it used to be.

Offline Kansan

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2019, 11:07:38 AM »
Depending on where you are, the action is often still great at the end of May. A lot of the public does get hit hard, so now would be a great time to try and get permission on some private land.