OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: South Dakota question  (Read 3123 times)

Offline turkey_slayer

• Longbeard
  • SouthWest VA
South Dakota question
« on: May 12, 2019, 12:07:19 PM »
Is the black hills over the counter or draw? I know the prairie unit is draw and believe the black hills is as well but not 100% certain

Online SoDak_JD

Re: South Dakota question
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 02:44:16 PM »
Black Hills is otc.  Residents can get 2 tags.  Non-residents can get 1.

There’s also a statewide archery tag that’s otc for both residents and non-residents.

Offline SD_smith

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 02:59:41 PM »
Well it’s labeled as a draw if you do it online, but it’s a guaranteed tag. You can buy the same thing OTC. I can see the confusion.

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2019, 04:08:35 PM »
We looked at SD last year when we were headed to WY and NE.  It IS confusing and that's why we ruled SD out...……...we thought it was draw only.

So a guy could go into Walmart in Rapid City or Spearfish and buy a Black Hills tag ??
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Offline turkey_slayer

• Longbeard
  • SouthWest VA
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2019, 06:24:55 PM »
Thanks for the help fellows. Yeah it was confusing to me

Offline Crghss

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2019, 06:33:21 PM »
When are thinking of going? I'll be out there 25th to 1st.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

Online SoDak_JD

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2019, 10:32:51 PM »
We looked at SD last year when we were headed to WY and NE.  It IS confusing and that's why we ruled SD out...……...we thought it was draw only.

So a guy could go into Walmart in Rapid City or Spearfish and buy a Black Hills tag ??

I suppose that's why it's called a draw.  I'm pretty sure you have to apply online or (possibly) through a local GFP office.

If you do it online, they mail it quick.  As a resident, I received my Black Hills tag in the mail within a couple days.  My Dad is out of state and when he applied for his on Thursday, it was there on Monday.

Offline turkey_slayer

• Longbeard
  • SouthWest VA
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2019, 11:16:14 PM »
When are thinking of going? I'll be out there 25th to 1st.
I'll prob fly out on the 1st. Going to do Wyoming and Nebraska as well so haven't decided which state to start on first. Hope to be done quick enough to hit Montana and Idaho as well

Offline PLP

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2019, 07:45:18 PM »
Black Hills are NOT a draw..anyone can get atleast 1..It is not OTC in the way most people refer.You either get it mailed to you or you must pick it up in Pierre..Residents can get a 2nd tag later in the season.Prairie tags ARE a draw however certain stages of the draw you can buy pretty much as many as you want of the leftovers(leftovers are leftovers for a reason!) but once again you must have them mailed to you or go to PIERRE..one does not simply go to wallyworld or mom n pops tackle store..best of luck

Offline AndyH

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2019, 09:10:42 PM »
What would it cost for a non resident to hunt the black hills? Thinking of heading out there next week on a whim.

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2019, 09:28:10 PM »
Black Hills are NOT a draw..anyone can get atleast 1..It is not OTC in the way most people refer.You either get it mailed to you or you must pick it up in Pierre..Residents can get a 2nd tag later in the season.Prairie tags ARE a draw however certain stages of the draw you can buy pretty much as many as you want of the leftovers(leftovers are leftovers for a reason!) but once again you must have them mailed to you or go to PIERRE..one does not simply go to wallyworld or mom n pops tackle store..best of luck

That splains a lot.

Thank you !!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 09:56:15 PM by Yoder409 »
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Offline PLP

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2019, 09:44:25 PM »
What would it cost for a non resident to hunt the black hills? Thinking of heading out there next week on a whim.

$100

Offline turkey_slayer

• Longbeard
  • SouthWest VA
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2019, 09:44:46 PM »

They splains a lot.

Thank you !!
Yes much appreciated plp!

Offline SD_smith

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2019, 12:06:56 AM »

If you do it online then it is exactly the same as a draw. The tag is guaranteed, but the steps to get it are just like a draw for a prairie unit. So to say it isn’t a draw at all is a little misleading. They may not call it a draw, but once again the process is exactly the same as one. So for someone that is looking at it for the first time then thinking of it as a GUARANTEED DRAW probably would help a lot.

Can you get them through the GFP office in Rapid City too? I think I’ve had friends stop by their office in Rapid and buy them there and they are residents.

Draw #4 of the prairie units is when you can buy as many leftovers as you want. I usually go ahead and get my home unit on first draw and then see what’s available once it goes to leftovers. Usually end up buying 10+ more tags in my home unit.

Online SoDak_JD

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2019, 01:56:48 AM »

If you do it online then it is exactly the same as a draw. The tag is guaranteed, but the steps to get it are just like a draw for a prairie unit. So to say it isn’t a draw at all is a little misleading. They may not call it a draw, but once again the process is exactly the same as one. So for someone that is looking at it for the first time then thinking of it as a GUARANTEED DRAW probably would help a lot.

Can you get them through the GFP office in Rapid City too? I think I’ve had friends stop by their office in Rapid and buy them there and they are residents.

Draw #4 of the prairie units is when you can buy as many leftovers as you want. I usually go ahead and get my home unit on first draw and then see what’s available once it goes to leftovers. Usually end up buying 10+ more tags in my home unit.

A couple years ago my buddy went into the Mobridge GFP office and got one before we went out the Hills.  I think all the info was even handwritten because the tag printer wasn't working that day.