OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Hen Box  (Read 3571 times)

Offline Rzrbac

• Longbeard
Hen Box
« on: May 11, 2019, 07:28:47 PM »
I admit I’m not a historian when it comes to turkey calls nor anything else. What is the history behind a hen box?  I’ve noticed them before but never paid any attention to them. Are they an older style box compared to long boxes or a Cost style box?

How do hunters pack one of them. That handle looks like it would break off after one morning in my vest. Just curious about them, may have to add one to my vest if they sound good and are more durable than they look.

Offline USMC0331

• Longbeard
Re: Hen Box
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 07:48:22 PM »
It is a different box call all together and is not run the the same way. They do sound great. This is mine in a leather holster.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Offline Rzrbac

• Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 08:04:20 PM »
I like that holster.

Offline USMC0331

• Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2019, 08:15:06 PM »
Yoder409 on here makes the holsters. He made one for my long box as well.

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2019, 09:25:44 PM »
You can buy them without the handle and if you ever play one you will see why people carry them.. they have the most natural sound to real hen ....

Offline Rzrbac

• Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2019, 09:31:24 PM »
Are they the oldest type of box. I can’t find a lot of info on their history.

Offline merriamsman

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2019, 01:00:53 PM »
The ones with the handles are called hen boxes. The ones without the handles are called Turpin boxes. Both are similar in that they do not have a spring like the Cost style boxes. The lids are typically very rounded and loosely attached so you can manipulate it to get different sounds. To me it seems like I run the call a lot harder than the other boxes, and often lift the lid on the backstroke, which you typically don’t do with Cost-style boxes. I think they produce that old school, raspy “yawk” sound better than other boxes.

Offline Rzrbac

• Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2019, 02:53:42 PM »
How fragile is a hen box compared to a Cost style box?

Offline USMC0331

• Longbeard
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2019, 02:56:44 PM »
It's  pretty solid.

Offline Rzrbac

• Longbeard
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2019, 03:12:13 PM »
Well the hen box has my curiosity going. Never seen a video of anybody gobbling on one. Is that possible?

Offline USMC0331

• Longbeard
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2019, 03:18:14 PM »
I have not tried. Mr.Hudson , Mr. David Hodgekins or Mr. Buice  can tell you if it is possible .

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2019, 11:13:35 AM »
I will take a hen box over any other box call. I hunt them all but to me once you learn how to run it , you can get several different hens out of it. The yawk on the backend cannot be matched by any other call. There is one in my vest permanently. I have a dozen and change them out through season. I have a fiddlebox in my vest everyday also. I change that combo throughout the season also. Get one , learn to run it and you will see what Im talking about. Good luck.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Offline sixbird

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2019, 04:23:18 PM »
Well the hen box has my curiosity going. Never seen a video of anybody gobbling on one. Is that possible?

You can gobble on a hen box. They don't gobble quite as well as a cost style but you can make a reasonable gobble with them.

Offline sixbird

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2019, 04:28:00 PM »
I admit I’m not a historian when it comes to turkey calls nor anything else. What is the history behind a hen box?  I’ve noticed them before but never paid any attention to them. Are they an older style box compared to long boxes or a Cost style box?

How do hunters pack one of them. That handle looks like it would break off after one morning in my vest. Just curious about them, may have to add one to my vest if they sound good and are more durable than they look.

The way I understand it the hen box was originated by Frank Cox. Richard Hudson pretty much singlehandedly made it popular and developed it further. Richard has been the seed that most of the newer makers of hen boxes have either directly mentored from or were influenced by. I think it would be reasonable to say that Richard is the reason hen boxes are even in existence today.

Offline vt35mag

• Longbeard
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2019, 06:59:06 PM »
How fragile is a hen box compared to a Cost style box?
To me it seems like a hen box would take more abuse than a cost style box. Feels more rugged.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk