turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Trumpet or not to Trumpet

Started by Poppahunts, May 10, 2019, 11:27:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poppahunts

Fellas, I fella in love with the look of a trumpet made by Kevin Kirkpatrick for a benefit raffle for Dean Mundhenke's little grand daughter, 
I didn't win the raffle but after seeing that trumpet its got me wanting one.
Being from South Louisiana they are not common around these parts.
Never have I ever run one or attempted to,  so I got a couple of questions.
Are they hard are to learn to run proficiently ?
Maybe a dumb question,  but is there anything that makes some better than others and some maybe easier to run than others?

Thanks in advance...
Turkeys For Tomorrow Member
Life NRA Member
Psalm 91
Life is hard, twice as hard if your stupid
               - John Wayne

ltprod

I'm in Louisiana with about 45 different trumpets from different call makers

1-225-315-6677

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

guesswho

Far from an expert here but as far as the difficulty in learning how to use one, I think it's like anything else.  Depends on the individual.  Some are naturals and some seem to never get it.  I was lucky and the basic learning curve for me was pretty short. 

What makes some easier or better than others I think is the internals.   I've seen some trumpets that I don't think anyone could squeeze any turkey out of them.  And others seem to spit feathers.  I'd go with one made by someone who is highly recommended here.   Several good ones out there.   I recently saw where a few people have praise to a guy from PA that sells them on EBay fairly cheap.  Around $20 I think.  But I can't personally speak on them because I have no experience with them.   

My advice is spend a little extra and buy one from a maker that people in here vouch for.  Worst case is you can't get the hang of it and you sell it for at least what you paid for it.  Good luck.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Poppahunts

Quote from: ltprod on May 10, 2019, 11:40:10 AM
I'm in Louisiana with about 45 different trumpets from different call makers

1-225-315-6677

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks will give you a holler this afternoon...
Turkeys For Tomorrow Member
Life NRA Member
Psalm 91
Life is hard, twice as hard if your stupid
               - John Wayne

davisd9

Quote from: davisd9 on April 30, 2019, 01:51:36 PM
Trumpets are all about the player.  Some are better than others, but overall a good player can play almost all trumpets.  The biggest differences in trumpets in how easy the draw is.  Price itself does not mean easier playing but most that have that easy playing trumpet have time and reputation which means they have earned a higher price.  The things that go into price is the maker's name, the trumpet's reputation, and the materials used.  You do not have to spend $300 bucks to get a good trumpet to learn on but $20 eBay trumpet or a $50 one from Cabelas are not going to be the easiest 9 out of 10 times. 

Everyone plays different so it is hard to say this is the best trumpet to learn on.  It is kind of individual based, sort of like mouth calls.  Experienced players can also recommend harder to use trumpets because they have the mechanics to play them easily.  The calls I recommend to a person is Billy Buice with a #4, Brian Mero, Matt Mclain, or Ralph Permar as I know this are easier to use trumpets for any experience level.  Good luck as the trumpet game is a slippery slope.

There is a reason the same names are talked about.  Search the forums and see who the ones that are big into trumpets play and buy.  A good trumpet can be had for a reasonable price, but pricing of said trumpet is on different variables. Good luck in your search.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

outdoors

Gregg on here makes a sharp looking and really good SOUNDING call. Really easy to play  .....  doesn't cost a arm n leg
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Rzrbac

I've been messing with trumpets for about a month. I am addicted to learning how to play one and play one well. I would say go for it! As for makers, I've got 3 with another on the way. They all seem to be quality calls but each play a little different, some a little easier than others. Just be prepared, if you get hooked, you will find yourself either practicing, researching or buying more. That's just my experience for whatever it's worth.

Chris O

There are a lot of good options out there for trumpets it kind of depends on you. If you are a person who only has a few calls and hunts them all the time like 1 box call 1 slate or whatever. I would spend the money on a higher quality one. If you are a person that has 100 different calls then I would start with what ever you want because you will end up having several different ones. You don't have to spend $300 dollars to get a good trumpet but if you decide you don't like it you can usually get your money back or close to it. I am always playing my trumpets and really enjoy them so have fun choosing your 1st one

Terry

I agree with everyone else. However I will push you towards Brian Mero. For a beginner he has the best combination of ease of play, price and availability.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

gergg

Quote from: outdoors on May 10, 2019, 12:33:23 PM
Gregg on here makes a sharp looking and really good SOUNDING call. Really easy to play  .....  doesn't cost a arm n leg
Hey thanks man, appreciate the vote of confidence   :you_rock:
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

1iagobblergetter

I agree with researching and buying one from a well known maker. Then you will get out of one what you put into it. Meaning the effort you put into one you will get back out of one that is made from a competent maker as well as resale value if you would ever decide to sell. Good luck and they are addictive to use and collect...

Sir-diealot

I am still learning myself, it is lots of fun but can be frustrating too. I know I will get there I just have to keep practicing and be patient. I just got one from gergg in the mail yesterday and really like it.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Ben1100mag

You could go the route I did.

Go to your Local Market and buy some Fresh Turkey Wings. Cook em up and make a call out of the bones. Plenty of You Tube videos on how to make one. If you can learn to run a wing bone that you made you shouldn't have an any trouble running a Trumpet made by one of the great call makers on here.

You will have about $2 and some time in a wing bone. Plus it is fun to make them.

model94

I only have one Trumpet from Brian Mero so I have nothing to compare it to, but I love his Trumpet and so do the birds. If I can play his call, anyone can. It was my most effective call this season and I purchased  this call as as a change of pace call and it is now it is my go to call.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Poppahunts on May 10, 2019, 11:27:16 AM
Fellas, I fella in love with the look of a trumpet made by Kevin Kirkpatrick for a benefit raffle for Dean Mundhenke's little grand daughter, 
I didn't win the raffle but after seeing that trumpet its got me wanting one.
Being from South Louisiana they are not common around these parts.
Never have I ever run one or attempted to,  so I got a couple of questions.
Are they hard are to learn to run proficiently ?
Maybe a dumb question,  but is there anything that makes some better than others and some maybe easier to run than others?

Thanks in advance...
There is another one going for his granddaughter now if you are interested. https://www.facebook.com/eric.osborne.31/posts/10214490752005152
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."