Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Opening day in the blind!

Started by Hunter1979, April 22, 2019, 06:13:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hunter1979

Turkeys gobbling all around me.  Three minutes until shooting light.  Bow at the ready!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Hunter1979

Well, I made her mad.

WNCTracker

Best decoy ever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hunter1979

Not quite the bearded bird I was looking for

longspur

Hunter1979

My decoys are making them angry this morning.

WNCTracker

Did you get him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ILHUNTER

Great pics, hope you shot that Tom

tomstopper

Quote from: ILHUNTER on April 22, 2019, 11:05:35 AM
Great pics, hope you shot that Tom
X2

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Hunter1979

Sorry for going MIA for a while. I still haven't processed my video, was hoping to get the video and post the score and details all together.  It was my first bird with a bow!

I'll post the score and pictures soon.

Hunter1979

Finally got the video done...

Here's the details on the hunt:
Opening day in the blind, the morning started off with a lot of gobbling in the area.  There were Toms sounding off in all parts of the woods, and would have multiple responses with every strike of the call.  Out of nowhere, my first customer of the morning appeared, an angry hen.  She was unhappy that someone was talking to her boyfriend, so she came in, smacked around my decoy, then left.  About 30 minutes later, another hen came in for a fight, but she brought backup!  A bearded hen came in with her.  I've never seen a hen posturing for a fight and fanning out her tail, so that was a treat to watch.  These hens were not messing around, and again, beat my decoy up pretty well.  They stayed in the area, and about 15 minutes later a tom did pop out of the woods, but was hanging up between the live hens and my decoy spread.  Sadly, my calling was no competition for the lure of a bearded hen, so he slowly made his way toward her, and out of my life.  Luckily, 15 minutes later a tom started roaring out in the, woods, coming closer with every gobble.  He bolted towards my decoys, and as you can see in the video, attacked my jake decoy.  It was his last mistake.  After trying for multiple years, I finally raised my bow, centered the pin on his neck, and let the Magnus Bullhead fly toward its target.  It was almost a complete decapitation, only a few feathers held the decapitated head to the body.
It was a fantastic, action packed morning in the turkey woods!  Sadly, my season was over in less than 2 hours. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ows-yY31cOw

ILHUNTER

Congrats, the video is awesome.

mmorgan9812

Great video and hunt! You now have a new youtube subscriber.

tomstopper

longspur

Great video. Congrats on the bow kill