OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Trumpet/yelper drawing technique  (Read 6981 times)

Offline BTH

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Proverbs 3:5-6. I like the snood!
Re: Trumpet/yelper drawing technique
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2019, 12:40:39 PM »
What helped me the most was learning how to maintain the draw with the correct air flow to kee kee on a wingbone. Once I figured that out and the right backpressure with either my pointer finger tip or middle finger tip along with cupping my other hand around ....... making decent yelps and clucks came a lot easier to me.

Have been running the wingbone every day while driving back and forth to work for about a month and a half now. I get some crazy looks while at stoplights LOL.

Have hunted with it 2x now. Still a long ways to go but my confidence is getting better everyday.
Phil 4:13

Offline beardhunter87

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2019, 03:35:55 PM »
Awesome great information I also experienced Trying a wingbone sounds so great. I've wondered when people are creating back pressure with a finger over the hole Are you a quarter of the way covering the end or are you 3/4 of the way really trying to cut off that air to create the Two tone Yelp. Also on the back end do you guys create that with your lips and jaw dropping ,a not so dramatic cluck? I feel if I can get the kee kee I'll be ok. Any tips on the kee kee or the front endnote?

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2019, 06:54:00 AM »
On my wingbones I don't use my fingers for back pressure, I hold the bell end between my thumb and forefinger and basically just close my fist. I usually choke the call down pretty much when starting any calling, but particularly with kee kees. With each progressing note I open my hand more and more to get the volume.

With clucks, I make a sound chamber with both hands to get that hollow sound. Your hands, and how you move them around have as much to do with the sound as your lips. Have fun!!!

Offline silverspur

• Longbeard
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2019, 08:03:45 AM »
Your hands, and how you move them around have as much to do with the sound as your lips.

I agree 100%
Longbeards / Sharp Spurs

Online davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2019, 08:11:43 AM »
You hands help create the back pressure and helps to direct the sounds, but your air draw through your throat is where the sound is created. Your lips just seal and need to be relaxed. 
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline gergg

• Longbeard
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2019, 08:55:05 AM »
For me everything affects the tone....hands, lips, draw, as well as lipstop placement and size....not saying I am doing it correctly, but that is my experience for what it is worth.
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2019, 09:08:26 AM »
Although there are some solid techniques involved in running any yelper, most every good caller develops their own style. You have in mind the sound you are trying to create and your mouth and hands just do it (with practice). Sometimes I think we try to make it more difficult than it is. It's not rocket science. Rule #1.... relax!

Offline beardhunter87

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2019, 10:35:29 AM »
Ya I agree guys. Mainly after I started to record my self did I realize the whole suction kissing type calling sounded more like a hollow pop without a 2 tone front note yelp. People say to relax your lips but I feel to make a higher pitched front end I need to squeeze my lips together. But I appreciate all the help.  I had great luck and had gobbling turkeys everyday on me responding,  some even ran in to me this year because of the trumpets but the calls that really worked was the SOFFFFTTT stuff ,I see a lot of people intrested in it so I feel this is a good thread

Online paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2019, 10:45:40 AM »
For me everything affects the tone....hands, lips, draw, as well as lipstop placement and size....not saying I am doing it correctly, but that is my experience for what it is worth.

Agreed. This is very much unique to the caller - the slightest change in the lip stop position can suddenly make a yelper come alive.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline outdoors

• Limbhanger
  • 2015 forum supporter. “Outta’ the Woods”
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2019, 10:56:26 AM »
STARTING out with a wing bone call and then stepping up to a trumpet  I've received some great results in bringing in the Turkeys  I'm still very intrigued by the results  I have a bad habit on analyzing to death when I have something that works with great results
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Online crow

• Double Beard
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2019, 11:07:32 AM »
On my wingbones

With clucks, I make a sound chamber with both hands to get that hollow sound. Your hands, and how you move them around have as much to do with the sound as your lips. Have fun!!!

I also agree that different sound variations can be changed in the sound chamber of your hands.

sound starts in your lips/throat, but what you do with your hands is also a factor in sound/tone

Offline boatpaddle

• Longbeard
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2019, 09:23:40 PM »
  I feel that people starting out using a wing bone or trumpet call make a huge mistake
trying to make turkey talk, rather then learning how to draw air properly...

Learning to draw air properly, along with trying to draw a singular note in the high, med, & low range & hold it, puts a learning caller further ahead of the learning curve.....

Patience & determination go a long way as well....

Rule #1......RELAX..

Rule  #2......Learn to call softly, first...

Rule #3...... Never point the call directly at a gobbler, when he is coming in....The trumpet is the only Omni-direction call, we run......If you can't control air to soft call, you will blow em out with to loud of calling...

Lots of information on how to use a trumpet on Youtube.....
Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

Online paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2019, 09:36:22 PM »
  I feel that people starting out using a wing bone or trumpet call make a huge mistake
trying to make turkey talk, rather then learning how to draw air properly...

Learning to draw air properly, along with trying to draw a singular note in the high, med, & low range & hold it, puts a learning caller further ahead of the learning curve.....

Patience & determination go a long way as well....

Rule #1......RELAX..

Rule  #2......Learn to call softly, first...

Rule #3...... Never point the call directly at a gobbler, when he is coming in....The trumpet is the only Omni-direction call, we run......If you can't control air to soft call, you will blow em out with to loud of calling...

Lots of information on how to use a trumpet on Youtube.....

Excellent advice, the same exact advice he gave me several years back when I started.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline Rapscallion Vermilion

• Longbeard
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2019, 10:30:32 PM »
People say to relax your lips but I feel to make a higher pitched front end I need to squeeze my lips together.
Yes, that's right.  Your lips are the reed.  You need to tighten them up slightly and/or slightly increase the air speed to get that higher pitch.  For the same amount of air drawn, the air speed will be higher in a mouthpiece with a narrower bore diameter.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2019, 10:38:33 PM »
I seem unable to inhale for very long at all, call in my mouth or not, best I can figure to many years smoking things in my youth I guess. I do a series of inhales, only way I can seem to get anything done at all. Any ideas? Really hurts my lungs when I try to inhale more than a couple of seconds with a call or not.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."