OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Trumpet/yelper drawing technique  (Read 6983 times)

Offline beardhunter87

• The Boss Gobbler
Trumpet/yelper drawing technique
« on: May 08, 2019, 06:18:54 PM »
Hey guys I've been into trumpets for a couple years now had great results this year with them but have heard a lot about people doing it wrong on how they draw air, I have heard people say you can basically breathe through it and out your nose. I don't know if its just me or not but I could not breathe through a trumpet only using my mouth if i wanted to I would pass out haha What is a good way besides watching Del Crows videos or Marlin Watkins YouTube on how to draw air correctly. I obviously have good enough sounds to make them run in gobbling, But I'm just trying to tighten up the technique and make sure I'm drawing error correctly to get the higher front end. Hopefully this gets a lot of responses and I know a lot of people have gotten to yelpers recently so I think this would help them as well on educating what some mean by breathing straight to your stomach on a yelper. Thanks guys!

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
Re: Trumpet/yelper drawing technique
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 06:50:34 PM »
I am pretty new also and have tried about everything. I have had success also but I will always want to improve. This year I have found that my birds respond to. I will try to explain!!! Not a ton of lip pressure unless I am struggling to make a sound which happens sometimes. Light pressure on mouthpiece and suck like you are drinking milk through a smaller straw and a longer continuous suck not short and choppy bursts ( this kills turkeys also) . This is very hard to explain but is how I have decided to run my calls. I think everyone will differ how they play and different calls fit people’s styles different. Maybe I am doing it all wrong but my Turkey’s respond to it and when I am playing in the woods I feel I sound good. I am interested to see what others say

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline beardhunter87

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 06:56:17 PM »
Me too thanks buddy,  That was a good explanation on what you said I seem to draw air sometimes that way which gives me a 2 tone  Yelp. Intrested to see everybody's techniques

Offline paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 06:59:47 PM »
I have heard people say you can basically breathe through it and out your nose.

One doesn't draw air into their mouths and our their nose while running a suction yelper, nor is there any need to hold your breath. Instead one breathes freely through their nose (in and out) while running a trumpet or wing bone. For example, a caller could do a run of yelps for an hour straight non-stop because the caller is breathing through their nose. Make sense?
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline Rzrbac

• Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2019, 07:05:13 PM »
I shouldn’t even comment since I’ve only been playing one for a month. I’m only adding this because a light came on when I felt like I started drawing air correctly. It was like when you have a sore throat and just chewed up a couple of Halls cough drops. You just let the air come in slowly and hit the back of your throat to get that cooling sensation.

Offline beardhunter87

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2019, 07:16:25 PM »
Yes that does make sense thank you, I think I get confused when people talk about running one continuous like breathing through a snorkel or the  Air hitting the back of your stomach.  The way some have made it seem is you breathe out your nose and your inhaling through the trumpet almost like you're not inhaling through your nose if that makes sense

One doesn't draw air into their mouths and our their nose while running a suction yelper, nor is there any need to hold your breath. Instead one breathes freely through their nose (in and out) while running a trumpet or wing bone. For example, a caller could do a run of yelps for an hour straight non-stop because the caller is breathing through their nose. Make sense?
[/quote]

Offline outdoors

• Limbhanger
  • 2015 forum supporter. “Outta’ the Woods”
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2019, 07:27:52 PM »
We inhale to sound like a turkey
What does turkeys do  inhale or exhale
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Offline beardhunter87

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2019, 07:49:05 PM »
I would assume the exhale to make there yelps. More of the technique if the draw if that makes sense

Offline outdoors

• Limbhanger
  • 2015 forum supporter. “Outta’ the Woods”
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2019, 07:59:24 PM »
I'm only refer'n to hen sounds not the gobbler
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Offline guesswho

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Gobbler Goober
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2019, 08:04:31 PM »
Like playing with your drink as a kid with a straw.  Remember drawing the drink up almost to your mouth then letting it drop back down.    Also practice by trying to make as quiet a sound (yelp or cluck) as you can with it, almost no air.  Then incorporate that kid with a straw technique and build from there.     
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2019, 08:33:23 PM »
Like playing with your drink as a kid with a straw.  Remember drawing the drink up almost to your mouth then letting it drop back down.    Also practice by trying to make as quiet a sound (yelp or cluck) as you can with it, almost no air.  Then incorporate that kid with a straw technique and build from there.   

X2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline nitro

• Longbeard
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2019, 09:50:41 PM »
All the greats breathe through their eyelids. I have been doing it this way for 30 years.. hope someday I can call in and kill a Gobbler with a trumpet.  :deadhorse:
Royal Slam 2008

Offline beardhunter87

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2019, 09:53:22 PM »
Mr Nitro please let's get some input iv seen those Buices over the years haha  :funnyturkey: :funnyturkey:

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2019, 07:32:12 AM »
All the greats breathe through their eyelids. I have been doing it this way for 30 years.. hope someday I can call in and kill a Gobbler with a trumpet.  :deadhorse:

Ha,ha,ha,ha,ha......I almost spit out my coffee!!! Now I have to practice that eyelid thing, lol.

I always like the analogy of drawing liquid through a straw. Also, If your lips get tired, you're trying too hard, relax. Drawn easy and smoothly.
When practicing, concentrated on making and holding the first (high) note of the yelp. It's all about control. Once you perfect your front note, you can kee kee and by dropping your jaw, you get your second note of the yelp.

Offline beardhunter87

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2019, 10:00:28 AM »
Thanks guys for the input. Iv always done it this way , like the analogy of the straw . But I feel my first note was hard to hold and makes more of a popping g hollow sound when recorded. Davids9 helped and asked for a sound clip and texted me what to do so that was awesome. Keep it coming any tips will help everyone's advice has already helped me