Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Best (bird wise) season ever! Bird #2 score and pics

Started by mightyjoeyoung, May 08, 2019, 03:44:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mightyjoeyoung

So yesterday I decided to hunt somewhat close to the same spot I shot my first bird this year.  I was supposed to have a friend hunting with me but i get a text that he overslept and to head out by myself.  Well...his loss.  Lol. I got into the woods about 15 minutes later than i wanted, the sun at my back just starting to light up the tree tops, but the birds hadn't started sounding off yet.  When I was about where i knew I should be,  I stopped beside a big hard maple and boy am I glad I did!  I happened to look UP and there on a limb of a big oak was a turkey-less than 30 yards away!  I about crapped and froze. They were still head down and didnt look at all alarmed,  even with the moderate amount of noise I made coming in, tripping over every stick and branch in my way as a clumsy person does. Lol. I very, very slowly dropped my gear, vest and decoy at the base of the tree and set up my turkey lounger chair on the opposite side of the maple from the birds and inched down into a seated position, got my new 1300 20 gauge over my knee and turned on my FFII sight.  I didnt move more than my eyes for more than an hour I swear!  Peeking up every so often to look at the birds (now identified as hens) to make sure everything was cool.  At 0530 the first bird to my 2 o'clock let loose and another answered right in front of me no more than 65 yards away.  They gobbled back and forth for about an hour (the one where I imitated a statue).  I heard at least 2 more sound off in the distance, what I feel was at least 200 yards away as well as the 2 Tom's practically in my lap had a rap battle with each other.  FINALLY at about 0620 the hens (now 6 that I can see in various trees out in front of me) began yapping and flew down to my right, lighting about 65 yards away.  Almost immediately the Tom's flew down towards them, landing less than 50 yards from me.  They gobbled a few times and strutted for their ladies.  All this time I have never made a peep.  Sheesh, it took me almost 15 minute just to get a mouth call out and in my mouth. Lol. I gave a few soft clicks, purrs and short, soft yelps and they cut me off, turned and headed right for me.  The lead bird was wary.  He'd strut, stop. Look and walk a few feet, and repeat for what seemed like an eternity.   I reality it only took them less than 10 minute to come to about 30 yards.  The lead bird was in strut and looking right my way, so I  waited for him to turn and raised my shotgun, teasing off the safety as I did.  I clicked sharply and he raised his head.  The load of Federal #9 TSS ruined his morning right at 0630.  1/38" hooks, 22 pounds, 4 ounces AND a 10 1/4" paintbrush with a nice 8 1/2" second beard!  Talk about a banner year!   O.G. score:  70.25.  With both beards:  87.25.  :happy0064:
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

mightyjoeyoung

FullChoke

GOOD GRIEF, WHAT MEAT HOOKS ON THAT GANGSTER!! That is one gorilla of a gobbler. Congratulations on this absolutely fantastic pterodactyl.

Cheers  :happy0064:

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

blake_08

Now THAT'S a double beard. Awesome bird and congratulations!

3bailey3

congrats on the Awesome bird, I don't think I have ever saw two full beards like that.

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: 3bailey3 on May 08, 2019, 07:30:15 PM
congrats on the Awesome bird, I don't think I have ever saw two full beards like that.
I've killed one other triple beard, one with 4 beards (fall bird) and a few double beards, but NEVER two multiple bearded gobblers in the same season, let alone 4 days apart.

xarcher

WHAT. A. TOAD. 
Sitting still that long had to give you a numb butt.  And it payed off.

Guns don't kill people.  Guns kill food.

cramerhunts

Congratulations on that monster of a gobbler! Sounds like it was an incredible morning. Had to be a blast being that close for that amount of time.

Hayudog